Don’t like the interior of the house, but don’t have the funds to remodel it? Dry air in the apartment? Do you often feel sad for no apparent reason? All these and some other problems can be solved with ordinary potted flowers. Or not quite ordinary
If you have your own house or apartment, then you probably have flowers in pots or some indoor plants. At least one or two. You keep them on the windowsill and water them periodically, believing that nothing else needs to be done for landscaping the house. However, intuitively, you still want something more from the “green tenants”. Today is your day! After reading this article, you will Know the best large indoor plants for beginners and learn how easy it is to change everything around for the better. Well, if not all over the world, then in your apartment for sure.
best large indoor plants for beginners
Let’s talk about the best large indoor plants for beginners that can be considered for home, although they feel ideal in the wild nature of hot countries or in huge greenhouses. But even in an ordinary apartment, it is quite possible to create conditions for them and your well-being – after moving into the house, they will influence your life very actively, and it depends only on you for this to be a positive influence.
The name of this plant, associated with something monstrous and huge, is quite true. Under favorable conditions at home, a monstera can practically grow into the ceiling, which implies a large free space for this flower, otherwise you will feel that the room is getting too crowded, and you will have to choose between furniture and a monster.
However, the choice is not as straightforward as it seems: one monstera plant can enrich your apartment with oxygen – it emits it ten times more than, for example, two dozen other flowers.
The monstera is also convenient in that, being a liana, it can be located at the choice of the owners both vertically, braiding around a long support, there and horizontally, if you want to lay it beautifully on some surface. True, for this you have to have a lot of space in your house.
Monstera loves moderate watering, bathing, and spraying the leaves, which can be up to half a meter, and in some cases even 80–90 centimeters in length. The plant tolerates partial shade without visible suffering, but it is still not worth pushing it into a dark corner.
2. Palm trees
The plant, which we will call today a palm tree for brevity, is a record holder in several parameters: it is chosen more often than other flowers for houses, apartments and offices, it has a huge number of “relatives”, it is very unpretentious and can survive even from an inattentive mistress. And this is also a rather large potted plant – many types of palms reach three to five meters in height. However, many decorative palms are grown at home, the average size of which does not exceed one and a half meters. However, this is enough to decorate any room and bring a southern touch to the interior.
Placing palm trees because of their large size, and even with the prospect of growth, is wiser in the most spacious room of an apartment or house. In care, this plant is rather unpretentious – it is satisfied with partial shade. But the lack of moisture for palms is destructive. It is advisable to create high humidity for them using periodic spraying or installing a humidifier.
Most often, flower shops offer two types of indoor palms: pinnate (coconut, date, hovea, chamedorea) and fan-leaved (Liviston palm, hamerops, trachycarpus). By the way, you can grow a date palm from an ordinary stone – naturally a date. It takes a few years and a little luck, but the result is worth it! And remember: palms of any kind don’t like drafts!
If your house has at least a few flowers, then at least one of them is probably ficus. It is loved for its unpretentiousness, ease of care, beautiful fleshy and leathery (depending on the species) leaves, heat resistance, variety of appearance, shape and “branchiness”.
Ficus Benjamin is most popular among flower lovers. For 6-7 years, it can reach a height of up to two meters! But there are many smaller species, and if you put 2-3 different ficus plants next to each other, differing in the shape of leaves and plant height, you can get a very interesting “ficus accord” in the floral melody of the interior.
Caring for ficus is simple: regular but moderate watering, spraying, or moisturizing, large leaves can be wiped with a damp microfiber cloth. Drafts are also enemies of ficus.
4. Hibiscus, or Chinese rose
With all the good qualities of monstera, palms and ficuses, hibiscus has a distinct advantage: it blooms. It blooms beautifully and violently. But on condition that you find a suitable place for it – not in the bright sun and not in the shade. At the same time, the rapidly growing hibiscus, which gives many shoots, requires periodic pruning, which allows you to form a beautiful tree of a pleasant shape from it.
Humidity, regular watering, and feeding are essential living conditions for hibiscus in the house, for which he will thank you with a scattering of beautiful bellflowers.
5. Abutilon, or indoor maple
This houseplant is often confused with hibiscus, but this is not a tragedy. Feel free to buy it, it will perfectly decorate your interior, and there is no hassle with caring for it: water, moisturize, cut off excess.
In general, all procedures are the same as with the Chinese rose. Flowering is also one of the strong points of Abutilone. And how you call it it does not matter.
Real flower growers try to grow a lemon tree at home and get fruit from it. Not for food – for joy! It’s so nice to get something to bear fruit at home. And the lemon tree, producing small, sometimes gnarled and unsightly lemons, as if thanks you for taking care of it. Here is such a yellow thank you!
But keep in mind: if you decide to grow a lemon tree from a seed picked from a purchased fruit, you will not be able to get lemons from such a plant. It is better for this purpose to buy a stalk capable of fruiting in a greenhouse or store.
Then he will need light, warmth, moderate watering. You can’t put a lemon tree near a battery – however, like many other plants. If desired, you can shape the crown by pruning. But do not get carried away: you can chop up a tree so that you no longer have to expect fruit from it.
Check it out if you have problem and want to know about Why Do Indoor Plant Leaves Turning Yellow And Brown?
Fatsia looks like large palms with outstretched fingers. She grows up like crazy if she likes “living conditions”. Prefers coolness, good light, moderate watering. In response, it gives out shoots up to one and a half meters in height, beautiful wide leaves.
It requires a lot of space: it is not necessary to “squeeze” it with other plants, it looks beautiful if it stands alone, and it is easier to care for it if it is possible to approach it from all sides.
In the “wild” nature, the cheflera grows up to two meters in height. In the apartment, no one will allow her to roam like this, and she seems to feel it: she limits her scope to a meter or two. Experienced flower growers shape the chefler in the form of a bush.
By its nature, this flower is much more capricious than many of its brothers. Loves bright, but diffused light, responsive to abundant watering and frequent spraying. Do not tolerate drafts. You may not be able to tolerate something else – but you will find out when you start a chef at home. And you will definitely start it. She’s very good!
9. Croton (codiaum)
Croton is handsome too! Its leaves can have different shades of orange, yellow, red and green. From bright sunlight, these colors acquire saturation, but there is a risk of ditching a plant that does not like heat, dry air and direct sunlight.
In general, also a capricious “lodger”. But he knows his worth. With gentle and caring care, he will thank him with a lush cap of leaves, whose shape varies depending on the type of Croton – and in recent years, many of them have been bred! Do not forget to water and spray it on time, and if you can gently, without damaging the leaves, wipe them from time to time from dust – do it without fail.
If you have such a flower at home, you are probably an exotic lover. This succulent plant is distinguished by a calm disposition, it does not care what the situation is in your house, as long as it is not forgotten to water it at least sometimes. Euphorbia inherited such resilience from its ancestors, who adapted hundreds of years ago to the harsh life in deserts and waterless lands, under the hot sun, where every rain is an event for both people and plants.
Euphorbia grows slowly. He seems to be doing everything slowly – he has nowhere to rush. He does not strive in breadth, so he does not need a lot of space. But it perfectly complements the collection of flowers, which will look great in any interior.
indoor plant care guide
- When deciding to start a florist’s career or just show off the plants in your home to guests, do not forget the main rule: only those flowers look good for which the right place was found in the interior in terms of comfort for the plant itself, as well as provided adequate care for it.
- In principle, you can place flowers anywhere. If the room allows, a composition of several plants will look beautiful, otherwise it makes sense to distribute them throughout the house or apartment.
- Do not try to put flower pots in a row on windowsills – it is appropriate to place large flowers on the floor or on a low stand. Do not lean the plant against the battery; it is better to place it at least a meter from the heat source.
- Many plants, especially large ones, will allow you to hide the imperfections of the interior, namely: uneven walls, an unsuccessful protrusion, a stain on the wallpaper, in the end.
- When ordering a project for arranging an apartment or a house to a designer, ask if he can “fit” into the interior your existing or future plants. If the answer turns out to be yes, and the designer is inspired by this idea, in the end you can get something special, where the flower will shade the upholstery and texture of the sofa or work in contrast with the color of the walls. And the ability to move any flower gives additional opportunities for more and more new combinations.
- Tested: the presence of plants in the house improves mood and significantly reduces the degree of autumn blues. While there is active wilting and shedding outside the window, hibiscus buds can bloom in your house and ficus leaves glisten glossy. You can also move furniture or at least rearrange flowers to increase vitality and change the atmosphere in the house.
Recommended for you
Where should I put large plants in my house?
Consider several options for placing flowers in an apartment. And remember: there are no rooms where plants would be out of place.
Kitchen. Any flower can feel great here – thanks to the warmth and, as a rule, increased humidity. Of course, you don’t need to put the plant pot next to the stove. But a free corner is what you need. Ficus, a small palm tree and a kitchen are good friends.
Living room. If you have a large one, bring the largest plants here. Place them by the window, behind the sofa, next to the armchair – anywhere. There is only one rule: flowers should be convenient to water and spray.
Bedroom. You don’t need many colors in the bedroom. It is better to put one plant, it will be able to refresh the air and will not clutter up the space, distracting you from the direct purpose of this room. Choose a flower that can ignore the lack of glare. And no flowering plants, the aromas of their flowers can interfere with sound sleep.
Children’s. If your baby is still too small or has grown enough so as not to pick off leaves and break shoots, you can put a lemon tree in his room – it helps to strengthen the immune system, destroying harmful microorganisms.
Bathroom. Yes, yes, and here a green accent in the form of a plant may be appropriate. The humidity will help him adapt to the lack of lighting, but it is better to place a small specimen here, which can be periodically taken out into the room for sunbathing. And if your bathroom has a window – don’t even hesitate! This is the place for your pet!
How do I make my indoor plants healthy?
To make your indoor plants healthy follow the following instructions:
- When placing plants in a house or apartment, remember that with their help you can visually change the volume of the room. If you want to make the room look a little taller, place a tall palm tree in it and don’t add flowers with hanging leaves.
- Follow the rule of conformity: the larger the plant, the larger the area is suitable for it.
- Analyze how the color of the wallpaper or furniture finish will look against the vibrant foliage of a decorative piece such as croton. It is unlikely that its red and yellow leaves will be able to harmonize the blue interior, unless you adore extreme eclecticism.
- Don’t miss the opportunity to use flower pots as an additional decoration element. Believe me, with a little effort, you can turn an ordinary plastic or ceramic container into a real work of art. Or buy an unusual pot and put the plant in a prominent place.
- If you decide to live surrounded by large flowers, remember: the smaller they initially enter your home, the more likely they are to adapt quickly. Large plants do not tolerate travel well. And the biggest thrill for a grower is to grow a “green friend” from a seed or a seed. Try it, you will love the process and the result!
You have learned about best large indoor plants for beginners. Choose the best suitable option for you and follow the proper guide.