The decorative orchid blue Sapphire attracts not only with its unusual color of petals, but also resistance to high temperatures. This variety appeared about 50 years ago. Thailand is considered the birthplace of the flower. The full name is Tzu Chiang Sapphire blue.
blue sapphire orchid Structure
The trunk is small, dwarf, it grows up to 50 cm, it is dense and hard. Leaves on the surface have a scattering of white spots.
The flowers are small, about 4-5 cm in diameter. The petals are blue or lilac. The lip is brighter, dark purple. The number of buds on a peduncle increases with age – they lean tightly against each other.
blue sapphire orchid Flowering Bloom
The blue sapphire orchid blooms twice a year. The duration of this period is about a month. The first flowering coincides with the onset of cold weather, the second should be expected in the spring.
If Sapphire blue does not grow buds for a long time, but it develops well, then it is stimulated.
For this, the phalaenopsis is not watered until the soil dries, and the air temperature is reduced to 16 ° – in such conditions the flower is kept for 3 weeks. And then they return to normal agricultural technology.
After flowering, the plant needs special care.
- First of all, dried peduncles are cut off. The temperature in the room is reduced to 20-21 °, and the humidity is increased to 75%.
- After 3-4 days, it will completely go into a state of rest. The temperature is lowered again, this time to 16 °.
- The frequency of watering is reduced to 1 time in 7-9 days. Use complex fertilizers for orchids.
1.5 months in such conditions will fully restore the strength of the plant.
See also Do natural blue orchids Exist.
Growing blue sapphire orchid conditions at home
Phalaenopsis needs certain conditions:
- Daytime temperature from 20 to 26°; night – from 15 to 17°.
- Air humidity within 60-70%.
- Good ventilation without drafts and cold winds.
- Illumination is high, at least 10 hours a day. At the same time, the flower does not like direct rays.
- Special soil is needed for orchids. In the summer, transplanting to open ground is allowed.
- The pot for planting is not chosen too large. The root system should fit completely into it, leaving 1–2 fingers wide from the walls.
If the leaves have acquired a deep green color, this is a signal that the plant does not have enough lighting. With light green, yellow and light shades, it is worth removing it to a more shaded place.
Propagation of blue sapphire orchid
The culture of the blue sapphire orchid is propagated by seeds and shoots. The first method is suitable for experienced florists, since it requires a fair amount of accuracy and compliance with more conditions than the second.
Propagation by Seeds
blue sapphire Phalaenopsis seeds are very small and sensitive to the slightest fluctuations in external conditions. Because of this, it is necessary to sterilize all containers and instruments before work.
In addition, the seeds do not have their own endosperm, which makes it difficult to assimilate nutrients from the soil. For this reason, it becomes more difficult to germinate them.
To reproduce in this way you will need:
- Glass flasks or jars.
- Cotton wool.
- 10% solution of chlorine or potassium permanganate.
You will also need a nutrient solution. Cooking scheme:
- Bring 500 ml of water to a boil.
- 8 g of agar-agar and 10 g of glucose and fructose are added.
- Stir until dissolved over medium heat.
- In the second saucepan, boil 500 ml of water.
- The fire is extinguished, 5 drops of Kornevin, 1.2-1.5 g of nitroammofoska, 1 crushed coal tablet are added.
- All are mixed and cooled.
The acidity should be in the range of 4.9-5.2 pH. To lower it, use a solution of potash, to increase it orthophosphoric acid.
Check out Bulbophyllum Orchid.
Seed germination stages:
- 30-35 g of the nutrient mixture is poured into sterilized containers, plugged with cotton wool and foil, and sterilized again.
- Everything is left for 5-6 days. If mold appears inside, then the flask is not used in the future.
- Seeds are treated with 10% solution of bleach or weak solution of potassium permanganate.
- Sow in a container with a nutrient mixture.
- They are removed to a room with a temperature of 18 to 23 degrees and sufficient lighting for about 13 hours a day.
The sprouts take a long time to appear. The first ones hatch after 3 weeks, the last ones – after 3 months. They are transplanted into a new nutrient solution, where they are grown until they are fully planted in the ground.
You will need:
- Transparent container. A sufficient amount of light will pass through its walls for proper root development.
- Phalaenopsis soil or natural soil. Florists recommend using the bark of conifers.
Drainage is laid on the bottom of the container with a layer of at least 5 cm to ensure ventilation. The root system of the seedling is straightened, after which it is covered with a substrate and watered. The depth is about 6 cm.
For a week they are removed in the dark with an influx of air. Then they are placed on a windowsill or in another well-lit place without direct sunlight. Watered once every 10 days for 3 months, after which they switch to standard agricultural technology.
You can grow sprouts yourself from seeds or take those that hatch near mature plants.
blue sapphire orchid Care
Florists call improper care the most common mistake. It provokes the appearance of parasites and diseases, which often lead to the death of the plant.
It is not enough to buy phalaenopsis, you also need to know how to care for it.
When feeding a plant, you must follow the fertilization recommendations. If there are too many of them, then the phalaenopsis will begin to fade, whereas with a lack it will not bloom fully.
The table shows how to use some of the top dressing:
|Term||Type of feeding||Proportions||Application rules||Action|
|Before flowering||Combi-suite||10 g per 1 l||Water it every 10 days.||Stimulates the appearance of flowers, generally strengthens plants.|
|Summer||Special fertilizer for orchids||Half as much as indicated on the drug label||Fertilize before watering, about 1 time per week||Provides normal development, stimulates the appearance of young leaves and processes.|
The pruning of inflorescences is carried out only after they have completely dried. When the arrow dries, it is completely removed, capturing a little live twig. Dried stalks are removed, leaving 2 cm from the base of the outlet.
Phalaenopsis is pruned when it blooms too much to give it a rest and gain strength. Some flower growers recommend arranging a flower unloading period, deliberately cutting the flower stalks every 1-2 years.
Watering with water at room temperature, settled for a day. Compliance with the dry and wet period is required.
In the summertime, half-hour bathrooms are arranged, no more than once every 2 weeks. To do this, the dried root system is placed under the shower and watered until it turns green. Otherwise, the plant is moistened as the soil dries, with an interval of 2-3 days.
In winter, watering is reduced and carried out every 6-7 days.
Read out Types Of Phalaenopsis Orchids.
Preparing for winter
Sapphire does not have a dormant period, unlike other varieties. On the contrary, the first frost is a signal for a flower to bloom abundantly.
To make the plant feel comfortable, it is worth:
- protect it from cold air;
- reduce watering;
- fertilize if necessary.
Transplanting and repotting
An orchid is transplanted if: the root system has outgrown the pot and no longer fits in it; or the nutrient substrate has lost its properties or decomposes. It is not recommended to carry out the procedure more often than once every 3 years.
Stages: a new container and soil are sterilized, drainage is laid on the bottom; remove the root system from the past slide along with a lump of the earth; move the flower to another pot and add soil. At the end, watering is carried out with diluted fertilizer.
blue sapphire phalaenopsis Pests and fight against them
Worms. To get rid of them, the flower is sprayed with soapy water. To prepare it, 1 piece of laundry soap is rubbed on a grater and dissolved in 5 liters of water.
Mite. The flower is treated with Acarid: 20 g are diluted in 5 liters of water.
Diseases and treatment
Fusarium. It is incurable, the plant is thrown out along with the root system.
Rotting roots. It is not treated, the orchid is removed from the roots.
Anthracnose. 30 g of Fundazole are diluted in 5 liters of water. Water with a solution every 10 days.
Leaf spot. 50 g of Topsin are stirred in 10 liters of water. Phalaenopsis is spilled once a week.
Preventions to diseases
Disease prevention and protection of a flower from pests is extremely simple. First of all, before planting a seedling or seed, the substrate is treated with potassium permanganate or oxychom. The soil must be specialized for phalaenopsis and orchids.
According to the description of flower growers, more often the plant suffers due to non-compliance with agricultural technology. All diseases and pests appear due to excessive moisture, excessive lighting and insufficient feeding. Therefore, for normal development, it is worth following the rules of care.
Want to know about Do Orchids Produce Oil?
Common growing mistakes for sapphire phalaenopsis
- Using regular soil, instead of soil developed specifically for Phalaenopsis. A different level of acidity and the wrong ratio of trace elements can lead to the death of the plant.
- The pots are too small. The lack of space for growth inhibits root development, which is detrimental to the overall appearance of Sapphire blue.
- Waterlogging or excessive fertilization is bad for flowering.
- Growing in a place with drafts or on windowsills – the orchid does not like cold air. Or in direct sunlight – it burns the leaves and inhibits their development.
- Removing the peduncles that have not completely dried up injures the plant and reduces the further intensity of flowering.
Florists speak positively about the Sapphire orchid. Many people like the color scheme of the petals and the overall look. Also, of the positive qualities, flowering is noted several times a year.
With high-quality and proper care, the plant grows strong and resistant to disease and pest attacks.