About orchids face Monkey (Dracula Chimaera) speak and write with enthusiasm. Did you know that:
- Their colors are almost beyond description. From snow-white to black colors. Options are such that you yourself could not come up with. And they are;
- For some orchid species, sharp cliffs and dark caverns are very useful;
- Imagine. The smell of some gives off rotten meat. And very much felt. People don’t want to approach them;
- All orchids belong to epiphytes or lithophytes. But there are also parasites. They live comfortably at the expense of other plants;
- You also need to know the duration of flowering . There are species that bloom for several hours. So that it does not work: they raised, raised – and the flowers were missed.
The sizes of the orchids are surprising:
- It needs a standard on sale. As in a beauty contest 90 x 60 x 90. So it is with orchids. Peduncle height 65-80. Flower diameter – 8-10. And the pot is 12 cm;
- But there are plants in nature and several meters long. Even 8 meters;
- By the way. The smallest in diameter reaches as much (!) 2 mm.
The best sale so far is $ 50,000 apiece. So much was given for the Gold Canibalu orchid.
All orchid flowers have the amazing observance of petal symmetry. There are 60,000 species in Singapore National Park. And they talk about 7 thousand. Or 30 thousand. You will not have time to keep up with the new products. There are at least 250 species of them every year.
We can already breed many species in our houses and apartments.
Readout guide Warm Growing Dracula Orchids.
Mokey face orchid
They talk and write about these orchids with delight. This is necessary. Such beauty and so to call it.
Dracula (Dracula chimaera) Little dragon. Little dragon. The son of the dragon. And they are sure to start remembering the terrible shots with the famous movie characters from Transylvania.
The name of these orchids is due to their resemblance to another character. They thought that their appearance very much resembles the face of a small dragon. It’s good that the adult didn’t see him.
There is already more sentimentality:
- It was first described by Heinrich Gustav Reichenbach;
- His name was Masdevallia chimaera (its current name is Dracula chimaera);
- And found in 1870 in the Cordillera orchid collector Benedict Roesenl;
- But many species in the names have epithets in one way or another indicating evil spirits – Chimaera, Diabola, Fafnir, Gorgona, Gorgonella, Vampira, Nosferatu (chimera, gorgon, vampire, nosferata, fafnir);
- But Dracula simian “monkey orchid” is the most famous among them. And popular.
This genus belongs to epiphytic plants. They do not parasitize on other plants:
- Not so long ago he became independent;
- And earlier it belonged to the genus Masdevallia;
- More than 120 species of this genus are now known;
- And almost 20 species are considered rare. Very vulnerable. And they are listed in the Red Book;
- Representatives of the monkey species have recently been recognized. Only in 1978 it was widely advertised by the botanist K.Luer (K.Luer). He found it in the high mountains in the southeast of Ecuador;
- Most of them are greenhouse flowers;
- Smell like fresh oranges;
- They are very demanding on the conditions of detention. Few succeed in this in apartments.
Where are orchids found in nature?
In nature, the distribution area from the south of Mexico to Peru. Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama. But most of them are in the Central and Western Cordilleras of Colombia and in the west of Ecuador.
The places are hard to reach. For a long time they did not know about them:
- Wooded and inaccessible highlands. Height from 1500 to 2500 meters ;
- Very high humidity . Tropical rain and fog are almost daily;
- Shaded parts or completely in the shade;
- Temperatures are low ;
- In the lower part of large trees, they are more often found. At the level of human growth. And even on the ground.
And not all orchids that live in these hard-to-reach places are known to scientists. Even today.
You may also like Maxillaria Orchid.
Most common colors of Mokey face orchid
- It is rather difficult to describe the colors. Easier to scrutinize. Everyone has their own perception, imagination. And vision;
- Many doubt that these are natural flowers. Not props and good editing. Or photoshop;
- Even those who saw them not only in the photo.
Botanical characteristics of monkey face orchid
- The short stems have long and narrow long leaves in the form of a belt. They are also arrow-shaped;
- Light green to dark. Shortened rhizome;
- They do not have pseudobulbs . Their role is played by leaves with a spongy structure;
- The peduncle has one flower. Grows from the sides of the stems;
- And also very small seeds.
Height of an adult plant
- Here they are unremarkable in height . Yes, they do not need it;
- Their attraction, uniqueness is different. In amazing flowers. Not everyone is able to see them with their own eyes.
Number of leaves
- The more leaves, the healthier the plant;
- When counting, it can be about 20 . Small, medium and large.
Maximum peduncle length
- Peduncles are short, about 5 cm long . Straight or slightly drooping;
- They can even grow through the roots of the plant.
Diameter, flower shape
- Zygomorphic flowers. Quite small, 3-4 cm in diameter ;
- Three sepals form a bowl;
- Their tips are highly elongated. They are longer than the flowers themselves. They are called outgrowths;
- If you look closely, you can see hairs on them ;
- The lower petal (lip) is larger and resembles a bucket ;
- A column is located between the two fleshy petals. Here is the appearance of their flowers with color and gave them their name.
monkey face orchid flowering and blooming
How and when will it bloom? And how long will it last? Most asked questions. It all depends on the conditions. In nature, they do not have a well-defined flowering period. Some are fading. Others are blooming.
- Some are fading. Others are just beginning to form buds;
- These amazing monkeys are looking at you for two or three weeks ;
- The rest period is not for her.
- For the appearance of new buds and flowers , temperature fluctuations need to be regulated ;
- So that during the day it was 4 degrees higher than the nighttime.
monkey face orchid care
- As an indoor culture, this orchid is one of the most complex. Only in the greenhouse can you create conditions for her. Including with the help of fans and air conditioners;
- Experienced orchid growers and specialists say this;
- And they add. Many of us can afford to have their own winter garden. Pool. And a good greenhouse;
- And many like to surprise with a curiosity;
- Such an original plant with monkey flowers can be dumbfounded.
Lighting and backlighting:
- Here she, one of the few orchids, does not need bright lighting;
- Lives in nature in the shade and partial shade;
- Afraid of direct sunlight ;
- But with phytolamps it feels great.
Moderate and even low temperatures are suitable for Dracula:
- In the summer, 18-24 degrees ;
- In winter – 15-17 ° C;
- But not below 12-13 ° C;
- And stick to the rule. The morning temperature should exceed the evening temperature by 5-6 degrees;
- This is just for the formation of peduncles and buds.
For flowering, Dracula needs a temperature difference.
Advice! Tropical rains create high humidity in habitats. So you support 70-90%. And also the obligatory airing of the room.
- A basket (pot) is placed in a prepared container with water. Until the substrate is completely immersed;
- 25-30 minutes is enough . Roots receive a complete diet. The air is leaving;
- Place on the grate to keep excess moisture;
- Before the next watering, the soil must be allowed to dry;
- Soft water is used :
- Pass through the filter;
- Room temperature;
- Chlorine residues can cause leaf stains
- Watering (or rather, spills) from a watering can is quite effective and convenient. This is suggested by practice.
Root and foliar dressing: timing of introduction, alternation
- Need to feed. During the period of vegetative activity;
- Frequent feeding is not required . An excess of them is more harmful than a deficiency;
- Use the purchased fertilizers carefully. Even the recommended proportion should be halved.
Post-flowering and dormant care
- Do not rush to cut the peduncle after flowering;
- It can still form a bud. And more than once;
- Cut off only dried ones.
Only a completely dried peduncle is cut off.
Prevention of diseases and pests
- Proper care of the plant in appropriate conditions for this type allows you to achieve the main goal the flowering of the orchid;
- Any miscalculations can lead to diseases;
- And even the appearance of pests.
Planting Monkey face Orchid
The soil for most orchids is also suitable for this type:
- The bark of coniferous trees. Better are their small fractions;
- In smaller proportions, charcoal and sphagnum moss. Even finely chopped fern;
- Coconut fibers (shavings) are often used;
- Such an orchid is also successfully grown on blocks. In this case, Mexifern fiber is used. And dried New Zealand sphagnum.
Important! It is with this species that one often has to deal with such a soil component. It can be indispensable for maintaining moisture. Know how to use it correctly.
- Wicker baskets. With small cells;
- Similar options are available in plastic.
- Prepare good quality soil and container of your choice. You can buy all this in specialized stores;
- Install drainage. The walls of the containers are carefully lined with moss ;
- Prepare the plant and place it in the container. Spread the roots;
- Cover with substrate carefully;
- Cover the top of the soil with the same moss.
- It is necessary to transplant the plant when it is overgrown;
- This is also recommended for highly compacted or spoiled soil;
- You need to do it in the spring. Before flowering .
Reproduction of monkey orchid at home
- Seeds do not try to reproduce;
- Only by carefully dividing the rhizome of an overgrown plant can it be propagated by ourselves;
Attention! A new bush should consist of 4-5 shoots. Not less.
- Use a clean tool. Treat the sections with charcoal pollen.
Check out guide on Orchids In Bedroom Feng Shui Placement.
The basic rule for Dracula orchids:
- Once installed in one place, do not touch it;
- Don’t rearrange;
- Don’t swap sides;
- She is very sensitive to the change in conditions. And for the worse.
It’s important to know! Dracula orchids usually die even when the trees on which they live are blocked. Excessive watering and dry conditions are equally dangerous for her.
Decay of roots
Cause root rot can be:
- Your miscalculations in watering and feeding;
- Poor quality substrate requiring replacement;
- It can also be infections from other plants.
- Even short-term overdrying will lead to yellowing of the leaves and their drying out;
- Prolonged exposure to drought can lead to death;
- It is necessary to correctly assess his condition and correct mistakes in care.
Do not overdry orchid roots.
Microbial diseases in the absence of ventilation
- Airing the air at high humidity and low temperatures is a must;
- Stagnant cool and humid air can lead to the appearance of various microbes. This is their favorable environment ;
- Air conditioners, fans, and ajar windows can help avoid these troubles.
Monkey orchid Common diseases, their treatment and prevention
- Scientists count “only” 32 species of orchid pest;
- And more than 90 fungi, bacteria and viruses;
- They are capable of causing various diseases of leaves, roots and flowers in your plants. It:
- Leaf spot;
- Various rot (black, gray, brown, fusarium);
- Anthracnose and others.
Spider mite, thrips, aphids
Here’s who you will have to deal with to protect your favorite flowers:
- Thrips are a very serious pest. You won’t see them right away:
- Signs – silvery coloration and excrement dots;
- Means of struggle. Acaricides (Aktellik, Omite, Fitoverm, Aktofit).
- Spider mite:
- Signs of appearance – small white dots on the bottom of the leaves;
- And an almost imperceptible cobweb.
- Aphid. From its varieties, it is effective to wipe the tampons with infusion of tobacco with a soapy solution.
Remember! Periodic spraying with garlic infusion is recommended as a good preventive measure against many orchid pests.
- When the first signs of the disease are found (brown spots, drying out, rot), the plant must be isolated from other flowers;
- Remove all affected parts of the plant;
- Use for the prevention of fungicides Fundazol, Topsin-M. Copper oxychloride;
- Optimize the conditions of detention to the recommended ones;
- High humidity and temperature contributes to their emergence and development.
If a fungus is found, the orchid is immediately isolated.
Bacterial rot (or brown rot)
- Watery brownish spots;
- They spread quickly (increase) at low temperatures;
- Small ones can be cut. Treat with crushed charcoal;
- Use for prophylaxis preparations containing copper (copper oxychloride, copper sulfate);
- If not found in a timely manner, you will have to part with the plant so that others do not get infected.
Check out a guide on Best Room Temperature For Orchids.
- Dracula orchids (Dracula the monkey face orchid in that power) are bizarre and unique not only in their names ;
- They are very demanding on the conditions of detention ;
- Who has already raised them is like aerobatics;
- And many want to achieve no less success. And they achieve this.