In order for an orchid to grow beautiful, it needs proper care. But what if, despite the care, new plant lovers face the problem of orchid leaves curling.
In this case, the main thing is to make the correct diagnosis .
Actions aimed at treatment or correction of care will allow you to quickly restore the health of your pet.
Why does orchid leaves curling?
All reasons for twisting orchid leaves can be reduced to improper plant care and pest damage .
Sometimes the leaves are strongly twisted, while remaining the usual green color. Most likely, this is caused by a reaction to the conditions in which the orchid grows :
- poor watering, which leads to leaf dehydration;
- a plant with a small number of roots cannot fully provide the leaves with moisture.
Both in the first and in the second case, the plant needs to create optimal conditions :
- adjust the irrigation regime;
- a growing plant should be fed regularly with fertilizers containing nitrogen.
This will saturate the leaves with moisture and provide comfortable conditions for the growth of the underground part.
Proper watering is an important element of plant care.
Here is the answer to Why Do Orchids Die.
Mistakes in Orchid Care
The main reason for twisting the leaves of an orchid directly depends on the mistakes associated with caring for the plant:
- Low maintenance temperatures. In this case, it is enough to transfer the orchid to a room with a comfortable temperature;
- Curling of leaves as a result of a significant temperature difference in winter if the leaves touch a cold window or in summer when they experience severe overheating. In both cases, changing the location of the flower will quickly solve this problem;
- If a plant standing on a windowsill is regularly turned with its leaves towards the sun , this will cause twisting of the leaves, since the leaf blade will not have time to fully unfold in a short period of time;
- Overfeeding with fertilizers or applying a concentrate. To remove excess minerals, the container with the substrate is washed under running water, allowed to drain, and dried. In the future, the orchid is not fed for 1-1.5 months, after which feeding is resumed;
- The lack of trace elements is one of the possible reasons why the leaves curled up. For old orchid leaves, this is a lack of magnesium, potassium, phosphorus. For young people – boron, copper, manganese;
- Dry indoor air. In this case, leaf curl is protection against low air humidity, as a result of which the plant tries to reduce the evaporation of water through the leaves;
- Excessive moisture in the substrate. The leaves curl up from the constantly damp soil in the pot. The substrate is compacted, air does not enter the roots, which leads not only to twisting of the leaves, but also to root rot .
Important! For an orchid, an overdried substrate is more preferable than an overly moistened one.
Leaf curl in an orchid can take place both in the form of independent manifestations and in the form of a general disease, which is often preceded by yellowing of the leaves. Many people face problem Orchid Growing New Leaves But Not Flowers.
How to fix orchid leaves curling?
As soon as a diagnosis has been made and treatment has been carried out, the plant is provided with optimal conditions and care:
- for an orchid, places where diffused sunlight enters are comfortable . Direct exposure to sunlight contributes to the appearance of burns on the leaves. In periods with a short daylight hours, the lighting must be extended to 12 hours using a phytolamp; Phytolamp will help the orchid with a lack of natural light.
- the optimal summer room temperature is from 15 to 30 degrees, winter – 20-23 degrees. Changes in the daily temperature of day and night within 3-5 degrees stimulate the growth of the plant and the formation of the peduncle;
- watering the orchid should not be earlier than the topsoil dries out . In summer, watering, as a rule, is carried out up to two or three times a week , in winter – every 10 days. But the main sign that they are guided by when watering is the dryness of the surface layer of the substrate;
- fertilize the orchid only during the period of active growth. To prevent root burns, top dressing is applied immediately after watering. In the growth phase (spring, autumn), the orchid is fed once every 2 weeks, in winter and hot summer once a month.
Proper care for one to two months will get rid of the problem of leaf curl.
Do yo want to know about Spots On Orchid Leaves.
How much nitrogen do orchids need?
In order for the green mass to actively grow, the orchid needs nitrogen . But novice flower growers often overfeed the plant, which negatively affects the health of the orchid. Excess nitrogen manifests itself in the form of:
- unusually fast-growing orchid;
- softening and cracking of tissues;
- leaf curling ;
- short flowering or its absence for 2-3 years.
Plants overfed with nitrogen are often prone to various diseases and pests . If, in addition to curling the leaves, the orchid has other signs of overfeeding with nitrogen, then it is time to adjust the fertilizer application regimen.
adjust the Orchid watering regime
Excessive watering causes rotting of the root system, which means that the leaves of the orchid also suffer. The only correct solution would be to adjust the watering regime, and in case of root rot, plant transplantation .
get rid of orchid pests
If the leaves fall off, turn yellow or curled, insect pests – greenhouse whiteflies (tobacco) may be the likely cause. If the infection is suspected, you need to examine the inside of the leaf, it is there that you can find these small, visible to the naked eye, midges, no larger than three millimeters in size.
Even if traces of insects are not visible, it is worth treating the plant with insecticidal (from harmful insects) and acaricidal (against spider mites) preparations.
Attention! On the modern market, there are effective means of complex action that help eliminate various pests at the same time.
These insecticides include, for example:
- spraying with insecticides is carried out 2 times a week ;
- processing is carried out until complete disposal of adults, their larvae and eggs.
Care and proper care of the orchid will make it easy to get rid of a variety of pests and diseases .
Increasing orchid resistance to pests and infectious diseases
The best prevention of infectious diseases and the appearance of pests is the proper care of the plant. To increase the immunity of orchids in specialized stores, you can purchase drugs Epin, Ecosil, etc.
Their action is directed:
- to stimulate the development of the root system of plants ;
- development of immunity to diseases and pests, protection from stress (temperature changes, waterlogging, etc.);
- stimulation of shoot growth in old plants .
Compliance with all the rules for the care and maintenance of an orchid in an apartment is a guarantee of its health and lush flowering.
The lifespan of an orchid in a pot is 50% dependent on the conditions of its maintenance. In order for the plant to grow and bloom as long as possible, it is better to use special fertilizers for orchids. When using conventional fertilizers for indoor flowers, use half the dose .
Whenever you face the problem of orchid leaves curling do not ignore it. First, find out the reason and then a way to solve it. We feel happy if our guide work for you to fix orchid leaves curling.