Sometimes, for various reasons, orchid lost all leaves. This may be due to natural leaf aging or disease.
When this happens, you need to find out what it is so as not to lose all the foliage. Let’s find out below why the orchid leaves fall.
How do orchids grow and develop?
An orchid is a tropical flower that has a dormant period during which it ceases its vegetative growth. Because the plant cannot constantly be in the growth stage and grow foliage or constantly bloom.
If the plant stopped growing its green mass, and the florist at that time did not change his care for her, then the plant decided to take a break and retired. Because part of the year the orchid grows its leaves or buds and partly rests. This is what is called the dormant period.
On sale there are orchid plants with a clearly defined dormant period. They need to arrange periods of rest when the substrate where the flower is planted is completely dried.
At this time, all leaves or a few fall, and in the spring their growth begins again. This can happen with:
- Kalanteyami ;
- Some types of Dendrobiums (Nobile).
These species can rest from a month to two. But when the spouts of the leaves begin to appear, they start watering and apply fertilizer intended for orchids.
Do orchid leaves naturally fall off?
This is normal only if there is a natural aging of the sheet plate. At the same time, its yellowing is slow, and the color changes on the bottom sheet. Because he is the oldest. At the same time, the leaves do not turn yellow massively, and the loss of one is not terrible for the plant as a whole.
IMPORTANT! If the leaves began to turn yellow en masse, or it happened to those that grow from the point of growth, you need to look for pests or find your mistakes in care.
If the grower’s plants belong to those species that have a pronounced dormancy, then it usually occurs after the flowering phase. The plant sheds leaves, and some species and roots, and accumulates strength for subsequent growth.
When dropping foliage, you need to pay attention to the plant and inspect its leaves for presence:
- Or disease.
If everything is in order and nothing is found after the end of flowering, then the plant goes to rest , which can last up to 2 months. At this time, it is not watered and provided with a lower temperature. He needs this in order for his new growth to mature, and the main bush to lay flower buds for subsequent flowering.
If the plant does not make a pronounced dormant period, then it will not have further flowering . Or if the content of the flower was violated, then instead of the expected beautiful flower, a baby will appear in this place. are you facing the problem Orchid Leaves Turning Black and need solution.
Why my orchid lost all leaves?
When a flower is kept without adhering to generally accepted rules, its regimen is violated, which can be the reason for the orchid lost all leaves. You need to know how to properly care for orchids.
orchid lost all leaves due to waterlogging
The orchid shed its leaves. This can often occur if the grower:
- Irrigates a flower from a spray bottle;
- Or bathes in the shower and forgets to remove moisture from the sinuses of the leaf plates.
Although many sources write that after bathing, it is necessary to remove moisture with a cotton swab or ear stick. It, accumulating especially in the cold season, leads to rotting of the leaf plate. Then:
- The leaf falls off;
- And the rot itself can spread to the main trunk.
If during decay the main part of the bush is damaged, then:
- It is cut off;
- And the remaining stump is treated with charcoal.
After that, the flower is placed in intensive care to build up a baby on a stump.
The rotting base of the leaf appears suddenly and the process cannot be stopped. The leaves have fallen off. With this disease, it is necessary to save the basis of the bush – the trunk.
Here the fix for Orchid Leaves Turn Yellow And Fall Off.
Lack of light in winter, oversupply in spring and summer
The orchid prefers a lot of diffused light throughout the year. Therefore, if she stands on the northern windows, which are also darkened by the trees growing near them, then she will need illumination with special lamps for plants. They can be purchased at garden centers or online.
With insufficient lighting, flower growers make additional light for the orchid.
If the flower needs light, then its vegetative part will begin to starve at the cellular level, and the flower will look sick. His leaves will discolor, the trunk may stretch. In the absence of the required amount of light:
- There will be no flower arrow;
- Or existing buds will wither.
At the same time, the starving plant also weakens and can be subjected to various diseases.
With all this, if the grower’s windows are oriented to the south, from the end of April he needs to make sure that the leaves of his wards do not burn in the spring sun.
Flowers are removed deep into the apartment, and the window is hung, if possible, with a white cloth or blinds so that there is a lot of diffused light and no direct sunlight. Sunburn :
- Damages the leaf mass;
- And there is no cure.
The leaves are still damaged.IMPORTANT! It is necessary to carefully monitor the intensity of the sun’s rays so that they moderately nourish the plant.
Oversaturation of the plant with nitrogen fertilizers and lack of other substances
The top dressing for the plant should be used the one that is intended specifically for orchid plants. It contains the necessary components and minerals necessary for plant growth.
If nitrogen prevails in the fertilizer for the most part, then:
- The plant will produce large and beautiful leaves;
- And there will be no flowering.
In this case, the softness of the sheet plate will be observed, after which ugly cracks will appear on it. In this case, the plant:
- And can be exposed to various diseases. Overfeeding an orchid can lead to the death of the plant.
Orchids also need to the full extent other nutrients, the lack of which can lead to serious consequences:
- Phosphorus – the flower is starving, and the young foliage grows quite crooked. At the same time, it loses its inherent coloring. Flowering is not expected;
- Potassium the leaves lose turgor (Orchid Leaves Wrinkled And Limp) and the growth of the vegetative mass stops. The leaves acquire a whitish coating with a yellowish-brown edge;
- Calcium is an oppressed plant, the foliage is soft.
These are just the main components, and to prevent this from happening, the orchid must be fed with complex fertilizers intended for these plants.
Extremely low or high-temperature lead to orchids losing all leaves
With a strong drop in temperature in the room where the orchid is kept, frostbite of the leaves is possible . The flower is enough that:
- The temperature will drop to 17 degrees Celsius;
- Or a cold winter draft will fall on it.
Under these circumstances, if frostbite is slight, then small wet spots will appear on the leaves, which will begin to increase. Therefore, when they are found, you need to:
- Immediately remove the frostbitten leaf;
- And treat with an anti-rot fungicide.
At high temperatures, the sheet receives a thermal shock and in just a few minutes it wrinkles, resembling corrugated paper. This happens because:
- The roots stop absorbing moisture;
- And the leaf evaporates it too quickly.
Therefore, for the summer, it is better to remove the flower from the southern window sill deep into the room or put it on the floor so that it does not get overheated.IMPORTANT! When growing an orchid, one must carefully monitor the temperature in the room where it is cultivated.
Low air humidity
Humidity in the range of 50-70% is considered normal. Therefore, in order to increase it, it is necessary to put a wet towel on the radiator in winter. This will remove the hot airflow and humidify it. In the summer, the flower can :
- Put on a pallet with expanded clay and water, but the diameter of the pallet must match the diameter of the bush;
- Arrange containers with water around the flowers and monitor its level, since at high air temperatures it will evaporate intensively.
- Humidity for orchids should not be below 50%.
Also, at any time of the year, you can use a humidifier . Humid air will help the plant feel like at home.
Incompatibility with other plants
Sometimes experienced flower growers believe that the orchid cannot stand the neighborhood with strong-smelling flowers or citrus plants.
But this does not affect the color of the leaf range and the shedding of leaf plates, rather, it may affect the reduction in flowering time. This is not confirmed by scientific facts and you can not believe it, but experienced flower growers do not combine these flowers.
Therefore, the orchid is grown away from:
- lemon tree;
- Any coniferous plants;
IMPORTANT! The main thing when growing a plant, provide it with proper and competent care.
Effect of tobacco smoke
It all depends on the intensity and amount of smoke. If you smoke a couple of cigarettes indoors a day, and even with an open window in warm weather, this will not affect the plant.
But if the flower is placed in a smoking room, where people will constantly smoke and the amount of smoke will be increased many times, then the plant will simply suffocate without the presence of oxygen. Because oxygen is necessary for photosynthesis and various processes in the vegetative part of the plant.
orchid lost all leaves Due to infection
To determine what attacked the flower, it is necessary to analyze how the grower takes care of it and find the reason for the fall of the leaves. It could be:
- Irregular watering;
- Hypothermia. Leaves may fall off due to various infections.
To prevent this from happening, you need to familiarize yourself with the various recommendations for cultivating a flower and stick to them.
Want to know why Orchid Leaves Cracking.
orchid leaves fell off will they grow back?
Many housewives are very much afraid that after the leaves fall, the orchid will forever be left without them. But after all the problems are solved, you can build up the sheet plates. They can grow on their own, but you can help them. Restoring them is quite simple, adhering to the following steps:
- you need to pull the orchid out of the pot, and examine its roots – if they are dry and damaged, you should get rid of the damaged areas;
- further, the places where the cut is located are sprinkled with activated carbon;
- after the root system descends into slightly warm water and stays there for 6 hours; it should be well saturated with liquid;
- after the time has elapsed, the flower is transplanted into a small pot, into which new soil is first poured – it must be processed with Fundazol and fit in a cellophane bag, so the grower creates a small greenhouse that will help grow new leaves;
- occasionally you need to make nitrogen fertilizers, which contribute to the growth and development of leaf plates;
- it is necessary to ventilate the greenhouse quite often.
If the orchid lost all leaves, it is necessary:
- Take a look at him;
- And find the cause of what happened.
This is not always a consequence of the disease, sometimes there are natural causes of orchid losing all leaves:
- leaf aging;
- Or a state of rest.