Today, yellow orchids are very popular. They are relatively unpretentious and completely domesticated. This means that they feel great in indoor conditions. It is only necessary to properly care for the plant so that it blooms profusely and looks great. It is worth taking a closer look at the features and types of yellow orchids and the rules for caring for them.
What are the Types of yellow orchids?
There are over 300 types of yellow orchids. However, not all of them feel great at home. Some only grow in their natural environment. There are the most common varieties that growers most often grow at home.
You may also like What is Miltoniopsis Orchids, Species.
What is the most common type of orchid?
The most common types of yellow orchid names are
- Fragrant lycast
- Phalaenopsis Golden
- Phalaenopsis Wild Peach
- Cattleya Potinara Burana Beauty
- Dendrobium Anna Green
Fragrant Lycaste orchids
It is one of the more popular yellow orchids. Here are its features:
- Sympodial growth, that is, 2-3 ovoid pseudobulbs are connected by a rhizome.
- There are 2-3 sheets. They are large and wiry. They have an oblong or elliptical shape.
- There may be several peduncles. Usually two to five. Sometimes it can be more than ten.
- During flowering, each arrow carries one large flower. Its diameter is from 5 to 20 cm.
- The petals are small, the sepals are much larger and are located at an angle of 120 degrees. The lip and petals are very firm and as if covered with wax.
Golden Phalaenopsis orchids
This is a classic yellow orchid. Its characteristic features:
- The peduncle is long and thin.
- Leaves are green. They are dense and very fleshy. They can be up to 50 cm long and 10 cm wide.
- Blooms with bright yellow buds. Under ideal conditions, you can enjoy this spectacle twice a year.
- The root system is well developed.
Plant care is standard.
You may also like Yellow Orchid Flower.
Phalaenopsis Wild Peach (Pink with yellow dots)
Another beautiful and popular orchid with the following features:
- Leaves are tough, bright green. There can be up to five of them.
- The stem is low, it is completely covered with leaves.
- One peduncle, rarely two. Up to 60 cm high.
- The buds are delicate pink with a lot of yellow blotches. There are several flowers on one arrow. They smell good and can bloom for up to 3 months.
A beautiful flower with large and bright buds. Here’s a description:
- peduncle height up to 70 cm;
- there can be up to three arrows;
- leaves are leathery and dense, bright green;
- yellow buds, can be up to 10 cm in diameter;
- the lip is bright, pink;
- several buds can be located on one peduncle.
This variety blooms for several months. When fertilizers are added, flowering will be more abundant.
cattleya orchid Potinara Burana Beauty
The features of this variety include the following characteristics:
- The leaves are long and narrow. They are leathery and have a bright green color.
- The plant can reach a height of 60 cm. The flower stalk is powerful.
- Pseudobulbs up to 25 cm. They have the shape of a slightly flattened spindle. The surface is covered with scales.
- Bud diameter from 12 to 17 cm.
- Up to five buds can be simultaneously on the peduncle. They exude a pleasant aroma. The flowering process can take several months.
- The petals are yellow-pink.
The plant is relatively unpretentious, therefore it is very popular.
Dendrobium Anna Green Orchid
A beautiful flower that can be classified as a classic orchid. He has several buds on one peduncle. However, they can be of different colors: from green to pale yellow. This is clear from the name of the variety. The lip of this plant is purple.
The flower behaves well indoors and can bloom for up to five months. Here are All Spots on orchid leaves and treatment for them.
How to plant Yellow orchids?
It is required to follow all the rules for planting a plant so that it takes root normally and feels good. It depends on whether the culture will bloom and how abundantly. It is worth considering in more detail all the features of planting an orchid.
Choosing a substrate and a pot
It is required to approach this choice very responsibly. There are several requirements when choosing a pot:
- it must be transparent;
- a drainage system is required;
- you should not take a container for growth – it must be of the optimal size so that the flower stands normally in it and does not fall;
- plastic pots are recommended.
The soil must contain the following substances:
- large bark;
- sphagnum moss;
- coconut fiber;
Planting this type of orchid is easy. It is only necessary to perform operations in a specific sequence:
- first you need to disinfect the pot;
- then put the drainage layer into it;
- then you need to pour the prepared mixture into the container;
- plant an orchid;
- sprinkle the roots with earth a little on top.
how to take care of yellow orchids?
There are certain requirements for caring for an orchid. It is important to adhere to them so that there are no problems with growth and flowering. If the requirements are severely violated, there is a risk of disease. It is worth considering the rules of care in more detail.
Maintaining a microclimate
The yellow orchid is very sensitive to any changes in the microclimate. Therefore, you need to be especially careful during any exposure to the flower.
Here are the optimal conditions for growing an orchid at home:
- lower temperature limit – +22 degrees;
- the upper temperature threshold is +27 degrees;
- at night, a decrease to +18 degrees is possible;
- it is required that temperature differences are no more than five degrees;
- exposure to direct sunlight is prohibited;
- drafts are unacceptable.
It is also necessary to monitor the humidity of the air. The flower loves to keep it at 80–90%. To do this, you need to install a humidifier or a container with water in the room.
Particular attention must be paid to watering. If you flood the plant too much, it starts to rot. Here are the basic rules for moisturizing an orchid:
- Water it once every 7-10 days if the plant does not bloom.
- During the flowering period it is watered every 10–12 days.
- If it’s hot outside, watering is done every 2–4 days.
- You can determine whether to water by looking at the topsoil: if it’s dry, it should be moistened.
- Spraying is required periodically. However, water should not get into the rosettes of the leaves, as this can cause the decay process.
What Is The Best Fertilizer For Orchids?. It is optional but highly recommended, to fertilize the soil with the orchid. This allows for more abundant flowering and accelerates plant growth. At the same time, there are some rules for applying top dressing:
- First, you need to choose a fertilizer based on potassium, phosphorus, and superphosphate. Gardening stores have special blends for orchids.
- The mixture is diluted with water, but the dosage for the first time should be less than in the instructions.
- If everything is in order, then after 20 days, minerals are added according to the instructions.
Transplant and reproduction of yellow orchids
A flower transplant is the same as planting. But you need to carefully remove it from the pot so as not to damage the roots. How quickly the plant recovers and returns to growth depend on the integrity of the root system.
Reproduction is carried out in the following ways:
- dividing the bush;
- root children;
- children on a peduncle;
Tips for growing yellow orchids at home
There are several important rules to keep in mind when growing a yellow orchid at home:
- If the plant is infected with a disease, it must be identified. Otherwise, it will not be possible to save the flower: the orchid will very quickly die from improper treatment.
- It is important to provide the correct microclimate. It is recommended to put the flower on any window where there is a bright light. However, in the south there is a risk of getting burned if the light is not diffused.
- Watering should be moderate and infrequent. Periodically it is worth arranging souls for the plant.
- A yellow orchid transplant should be done when the plant is not blooming. In addition, fertilizer should not be applied at the same time.
Yellow orchids are really popular with flower growers. They are extraordinarily beautiful and relatively easy to care for. You just need to know what activities to carry out and in what order.