Orchids are plants with extraordinarily beautiful and fragrant flowers. And among them there is a species that produces edible fruits. With proper care, fruits with a sophisticated scent can even be obtained at home. We will find out what kind of species it is and how to care for it.
Edible Orchids Benefits and Features
Vanilla Orchid is the only orchid species that produces edible fruits. In the wild, it is bred as a spice. At home, it is possible to breed a flower for decorative purposes.
In the wild, vanilla grows up to 30 meters. Its benefits and feature are as follows:
- has a powerful, curly stem of dark green color;
- leaves have pointed tips;
- peduncles are formed in large numbers in the sinuses;
- each peduncle has 3 to 5 buds;
- the shade of the flowers is yellow, greenish;
- the orchid blooms in spring and lasts up to six weeks.
See also What Orchid Does Vanilla Come From?
how to grow edible orchids at home?
In order for the plant to feel good at home, it is necessary to create optimal conditions for it:
- air temperature – from 25 to 30 degrees, and these indicators should be throughout the year;
- the minimum temperature indicator is 18 degrees;
- the air in the room must be humid – at least 80 percent;
- the lighting in the room should be bright.
It is recommended to plant a flower in a hanging planter. It provides normal conditions for the climbing plant. If the orchid is planted in a regular pot, then you need to take support for it.
The soil should be loose. It includes:
- garden land;
- fern bark;
- charcoal is placed on the bottom of the pot.
When caring for an orchid, you should follow these rules.
- Water the plant with warm water (about 30 degrees). The pot must be immersed in a container of water for about 15 minutes, and then let the water drain.
- The plant must be fed once or twice a month with a special compound.
- The orchid needs pruning. After that, additional lateral shoots grow in it.
Do you want to know Are Orchids Parasites Or Epiphytes?
Caring for edible orchids
Caring for an orchid that produces edible fruits has some nuances:
- watering the plants is necessary in moderation;
- leaves should be moistened several times a day;
- if you pollinate a flower by hand, you can get a fruit (the pod ripens within 7 months);
- you need to water it with water completely freed from lime (otherwise diseases will develop).
Vanilla Orchid is an original flowering plant with a very pleasant aroma. It is possible to achieve flowering at home only with careful observance of the rules of care. In favorable conditions, the flower can bear fruit.
Which orchid flowers are edible?
Orchids are flowers that captivate many with their beauty and delicious scent. They often become the main decoration at various events and not only as a decoration but also as the main ingredient for dishes. This, of course, may seem strange, but orchids are part of the national cuisine of many peoples. In addition, they are also used in perfumery and medicine, which is quite natural, since they have certain healing properties, as well as a pleasant smell. The plant helps with migraine attacks, poisoning and neutralizes insect bites.
Are dendrobium orchids edible?
A variety of orchids called Dendrobium is also used to make delicious and spicy sauces. Such sauces are especially popular in Japan, as they quite often add this type of plant to various dishes. In China, healing teas are brewed from green sprouts, which help to increase potency and restore strength after a long illness. Orchids are also very beneficial for those who have come a long way from chemotherapy. It is this part of the orchid that can help in the prevention of various diseases, increase immunity and be more resistant to colds
Is there orchids cooking oil?
Thailand is a country that can surprise you with its exoticism in every sense, including its cuisine. Orchids, for example, are also particularly popular with the Thai people. Most often they are soaked in a large amount of oil, and then they begin to fry. Those tourists who managed to taste this dish were simply delighted with the unusual taste. In Nepal, the leaves of Cymbidium and Cellogin are used as feed for livestock, and flowers are also collected for conservation.
Here you answer to Do Orchids Produce Oil?
are bamboo orchids edible?
In nature, there are quite a few types of orchids, including bamboo. This flower usually grows on the territory of the island of Borneo. It received such an unusual name due to its appearance since its stems are very similar to reed or bamboo. The delicate taste of the stem allows you to enjoy it in many dishes of the island of Borneo. As for flowers, they are most often used as a decoration and the main ingredient in many cold and hot drinks.
Africa also did not stand aside from all of the above states. The continent of the sun uses more than 70 species of orchids, all of which, in one way or another, are the basis of many dishes of the national cuisine. All of them are very unusual and pleasant not only in appearance, but also in taste.