The tropical plant orchid has become a frequent guest in our apartments and in order for it to grow well, first of all, you need to know how to care for it. One of the main tasks in caring for a plant is to closely monitor the condition of the leaf mass. Leaves are the most beautiful part of any plant and orchids’ main beauty is their leaves.
How to take care of orchid leaves?
In order for the leaf mass to be shiny and with good turgor, as well as to be free of external defects, it is necessary to organize proper care for it throughout the year:
- Watering should be carried out in such a way that the plant does not experience drought or flooding, as a result of which the root system will rot and the state of the leaf will worsen;
- Topdressing is carried out only during the growing season with the appropriate fertilizer marked “For orchids”;
- For the leaves to feel good, the orchid needs proper care.
- The transplant is planned for the spring;
- To carry out the prevention of flowers, treating them in spring and autumn with preparations for fungal infections and pests.
IMPORTANT! Observing the basic rules of care, you can achieve a beautiful appearance of the plant.
In order for the leaves to receive enough diffused sunlight, they need a clean surface of the plate and the right place so as not to burn in the sun.
If your orchid’s leaves are fallen and need an answer to How To Revive An Orchid Without Leaves read out for a solution.
What is the best thing to clean orchid leaves with?
How and how often do treat orchid leaves from dust? It is often not recommended to bathe the plant even in summer, and even more so in winter, therefore, in order to get rid of atmospheric pollution, the leaves must be wiped.
For this, you can have a small flannel cloth or cotton pad, with which dust and dirt are removed from the surface of the sheet.
You can simply wipe it with purchased water:
- Free from various impurities;
- Or with the addition of succinic acid to it.
To make a solution of succinic acid, you need:
- Take it in pill form;
- And dissolve 1 pc. in a liter of water.
If wiping is for medicinal purposes, then dissolve 1 ton. In 200 gr. prepared water. To get rid of dirt, wiping once a week is quite enough; for medicinal purposes, wipe it daily.
IMPORTANT! Use filtered water when wiping.
Should I spray my orchid with water? or other options
There are various sprays that are produced by companies focusing on the production of various plant foods. They contain vitamins and various minerals, so necessary for the flower at the time of growth of the vegetative mass.
Orchid leaves are often sprayed with various sprays.
But, using it, one must not fall on the petals of the orchid, as this will lead to various spots that disfigure the flowering of the bush. There are sprays that need to be sprayed to get rid of pests. Absolutely all sprays improve the appearance of the orchid and take care of its health.
IMPORTANT! When applying any means for spraying a flower, it is necessary that the plant itself does not stand in direct sunlight, because it can get burned.
Should I cut off dead orchid leaves?
It is necessary to remember when cultivating a plant that leaves can age or be damaged for various reasons .
But if the lesion is strong, then the leaf should be removed completely along with the scales on the trunk. Therefore, a novice amateur needs to remember that leaves must be removed if they:
- Are completely dry ;
- Turned yellow (for various reasons).
Injured leaves can attract harmful insects, and they only then creep over all leaves of the plant. You may also like Keep Orchids Alive After They Bloom.
How do I make my orchid leaves shine?
Many novice growers are interested in the need to polish the leaf mass. Experienced people say that various kinds of polishes can burn the vegetative part of a plant. Therefore, it is better to use folk methods for rubbing leaves on an orchid.
Florists often use orchid leaf polish.
Folk remedies that are more often used by experienced flower growers, since they are cheaper and do not burn the leaf:
- Add lemon juice and succinic acid to soft water – shine will appear, new leaves will awaken and a huge plus – dust does not settle on the leaves;
- Wipe with a vitamin cocktail by mixing 2 ampoules with vitamins E and A;
- It can be wiped clean by mixing water and vinegar, this also adds shine to orchids.
IMPORTANT! You should not get carried away with wiping the sheet mass with various compositions, it is enough just to wipe the dust off with a damp cotton pad.
Should you clean orchid leaves?
Often shine on the leaves is induced for :
- Spectacular photos;
- Or before participating in exhibitions.
Where the plant should look very pretty. But at home, it is better to leave the leaves as they are natural. Just remove dust from them, wiping the leaf mass of the flower during watering.
Rules for the use of drugs
If it is a store-bought drug, then the back of the package should indicate how to apply it to the plant. Usually, it is sprayed from a distance of 35-50 cm, but, first, dust must be removed from the sheet plates.
You must also remember that direct sunlight should not fall on the treated leaves. This can lead to chemical burns, after which the sheet does not recover.
Compositions compiled in an independent way are applied to sheet plates using :
- Cotton pad;
- Or soft natural fabric.
Why are my orchid leaves dull?
The main reasons why orchid leaves deteriorate:
- Overheating of the plant;
- Frostbite during the cold season; Orchid leaves can wilt for a variety of reasons.
- Unregulated watering and, as a result, drought or flooding of the plant;
- Root system problems ;
- The presence of harmful insects can be located both on the leaves and on the root mass.
Whatever the reasons, they all arise from improper care, and therefore, when purchasing a flower, you need to know what requirements it sets for self-care.
How do you fix orchid leaves?
In order for the orchid leaves to be healthy, it is necessary to choose the right place for the plant in the apartment, so that it has enough sunlight and they are not direct. Organize proper watering, in winter, make sure that there is no frostbite, and in the summer overheating.
Preventive measures for orchid leaves
- Watering is done only when:
- The roots turned gray (Unhealthy Orchid Roots);
- And the condensation inside the pot disappeared. In summer it is about once a week, in winter it is much less frequent;
- It is necessary to inspect the plants once a week for the presence of harmful insects and, if they are noticed, immediately start treatment, leaving the plant in quarantine;
- In winter, position the plant so that cold air from the street does not get on it. When transporting in winter, it is good to wrap it up to bring it to the car without frostbite
- In summer and winter, the container where the orchid grows can overheat, this also affects the leaves of the plant.
IMPORTANT! The plant needs to be looked after and then it will delight with healthy leaves and beautiful flowers.
Importance of Orchids healthy leaves
With improper care and non-compliance with even the minimum requirements, the leaves of the plant turn yellow and fall off .
Healthy leaves are not only about the good appearance of the plant. This is an indicator of health. A dense and healthy leaf participates well in the process of photosynthesis, which means:
- The plant receives the necessary nutrients;
- And does not starve from lack of nutrients. Good leaf appearance is not an indicator of a healthy orchid.
If the leaf begins to deviate from the norm, it is necessary to look for the root cause and eliminate it so as not to destroy the entire plant.
How to grow leaves on a damaged Orchid?
Wondering how to grow leaves on an orchid? If with the loss of leaves, the root system is in perfect order and the growth point is not lost, you can grow leaves by planting a flower in a container the size of the root system using a substrate consisting of:
- Small fractions of the bark;
- And sphagnum moss.
At the same time, it is not necessary to flood the plant too much, since without leaves the process of moisture evaporation is practically stopped. After a while, the crown will begin to grow, and the leaf mass will grow over time.
IMPORTANT! It is not recommended to use fertilizers, since the processes in the plant are inhibited, and feeding not only will not help but will cause irreparable harm.
Use of Keiki and What is Orchid Keiki Paste.
Stimulation preparations and basic procedures
You can soak the roots of the plant in a solution of succinic acid before planting. To do this, dilute 1 ton in a liter of water until completely dissolved and lower the roots for 30 minutes. Succinic acid stimulates growth:
- Flower arrows.
You can make vitamin shakes that will also stimulate new growth. They consist of the following vitamins :
- B1 – 1 ampoule per liter of water and watered once a month;
- B3 – 1 ampoule per liter of water and water or spray 1-2 times a month;
- B6 – 1 ampoule per liter of water and water or spray 1-2 times a month.
According to this scheme, vitamins of the entire B group and vitamin C can also be used.
Leaf fertilizers are designed to help the orchid grow healthy greenery and maintain it during resuscitation. These include the Clean Sheet fertilizer. They contain the necessary for the plant :
The drugs are designed to :
- Stimulate the growth of new leaf plates;
- An increase in the number of ovaries;
- And they prevent chlorosis. Fertilizers are used for the active growth of orchids.
Use the drugs as indicated on the package, without increasing the dose, because overfeeding the plant can lead to its death.
All dressings begin to be used only in the phase of active growth of the orchid. It can be determined because a new leaf grows. Fertilizers are purchased only for the cultivation of this plant. All others for him will be:
- Too saturated;
- And they will burn the root system.
The number of applications usually does not exceed 1-2 times a month, but it is better to read the instructions on the packaging of any fertilizer.
Above we have to discuss completer orchid leaf care. If you want your orchid beautiful and healthy all the time you should follow complete care of orchid leaves.