The process of breeding ficus does not cause much trouble. But if the tree is not well cared for, ficus Benjamina not growing, and the leaves begin to fall off. To correct the situation, it is necessary to take the necessary measures in time. And for this, you need to know how to help the plant get rid of this problem.
Why is ficus Benjamina not growing?
First, you need to understand the reason that caused such changes. If the flower does not like something, it lets you know about it by slowing down growth and dropping foliage.
These are possible causes when ficus Benjamina not growing:
- Aging. At the end of the life cycle, the crown thins out. The leaves grow slowly, so it takes up to 3 years for the ficus to fully recover.
- The plant is cramped in an old pot. Then the flower urgently needs a transplant.
- Infection. With excessive moisture, the soil becomes a favorable environment for pests. Parasites are also carriers of pathogens.
- No drainage layer. Stagnation of water leads to rotting of the root system.
Peculiarity! When transplanted to a new place, the ficus needs time to adapt to these conditions. Therefore, during this period, developmental delay is considered the norm and does not require outside intervention.
Here if you want to know about How To Get Rid Of Scale On Ficus Tree?
ficus Benjamina not growing: Causes and Solutions
Factors that negatively affect plant life include:
- lack or excess of lighting;
- violation of the thermal regime;
- not too suitable watering mode;
- frequent rearrangement of the flower;
- lack of nutrients or oversaturation with fertilizers.
If their impact is not eliminated in time, the ficus may die.
Bad light is cause of ficus Benjamina not growing
If there are errors in the organization of the light regime, the flower develops slowly from the very beginning. It’s noticeable right away.
The most common violations:
- the location of the pot on the shady side;
- getting burns with increased contact with direct sunlight;
- placement of ficus on the southern windowsill.
Interesting! Varieties with variegated leaves need more light than dark green varieties.
Incorrect humidity and temperature mode
Its non-compliance is expressed as follows:
- too dry room climate;
- rare frequency of spraying and accumulation of dust on the surface of the leaves;
- the proximity of heating devices;
- keeping cold or stuffy.
Temperature indicators are considered optimal in the range of + 19-26 degrees with air humidity up to 70%.
To maintain the normal life of the flower, it is recommended to wash it once a month under a warm shower. It’s not just extra hydration. So parasites and dirt particles are removed from the surface of the crown.
Frequent change of location
It is enough to neglect the care requirements once to harm the plant.
Regularly moving a pot with a tree leads to negative consequences:
- the flower does not have time to adapt to the new microclimate;
- these conditions are not suitable for ficus, so the crown begins to thin out;
- the metabolic process slows down.
It is better to immediately allocate a certain place to the tree and change it only as a last resort.
In the process of irrigation, it is worth considering some nuances:
- the flower normally tolerates drought, but does not tolerate complete drying of the soil or its cracking;
- if the roots are heavily poured, the process of decay will begin;
- can not be watered with cold and not settled water.
If these rules of care are not followed, the plant may wither.
In winter, you need to water the tree no more than twice a week. In summer, it is better to do this as the soil dries. If the room temperature is not higher than +15, soil moisture should be temporarily abandoned.
Pests and diseases
The presence of parasites is immediately noticeable. When they appear, the leaves curl up into a tube, wither and become stained. At the same time, the leaf plates also become sticky. On them, you can see the larvae or white plaque. This is often accompanied by a slowdown in growth because insects take nutrients from the plant.
It can be harmed by:
- spider mite;
Parasites start as a result of improper care. In rare cases, pests enter the apartment along with the purchased flower.
Important! When visiting a flower shop, you need to carefully examine the inner surface of the leaves, and assess the general condition of the plant. Good prevention against parasites is spraying with soapy water and a warm shower.
Ficus can also be threatened by infections and diseases of a fungal nature. These include powdery mildew and anthracium. But the most dangerous are root and gray rot.
How to increase ficus Benjamina growth rate indoors?
The ficus Benjamina will be healthy if the following recommendations are followed:
- provide adequate lighting;
- maintain an optimal microclimate for ficus;
- in the spring, in the morning, take the pot out to the balcony, but avoid direct sunlight on the crown;
- when parasites appear, spray with insecticides;
- in case of fungal infection, use fungicides.
Attention! In everything, you need to observe the measure. This applies to both irrigation and fertilization. And if the humidity is too high, mold can appear in the room.
how to get ficus to grow more leaves?
Bare stems not only spoil the appearance of the ficus. This makes the flower weak. When a tree has a sparse crown, the process of photosynthesis slows down. The plant lacks nutrients and energy for full development.
In this case, he needs proper care.
When breeding ficus, it is worth considering certain rules:
- Young plants should be transplanted once a year, and adults – once every 2-3 years. They need this procedure when the pot inside is completely covered with roots.
- If the flower grows in a large tub, it is enough to change the topsoil once a year – from 8 to 12 cm.
- Feed-in spring and late summer. In winter, the tree is dormant.
- Observe the irrigation regime.
- Keep away from drafts and sudden changes in temperature.
If these recommendations are followed, the plant recovers quickly.
Interesting! The absence of lower leaves is the norm for an adult plant. With age, part of its trunk becomes bare.
How to accelerate ficus Benjamina growth rate?
When a tree has enough nutrients, it can fully develop. Mineral deficiencies can be replenished by fertilizing. In the spring, the flower is fed once a month, and in the summer every 2 weeks.
But if the ficus is affected by a disease or attacked by parasites, it is first treated with fungicides. Otherwise, the flower will not be able to fully absorb useful trace elements.
Fertilizer application technology for Ficus Benjamina growth:
- they are used after watering, while the soil is still wet;
- when calculating the dose, the age of the plant and its varietal qualities are taken into account;
- nitrogen-containing preparations are more suitable for activating growth;
- if the ficus was transplanted, it can be fed only after a month;
- dry dressings are slightly deepened into the topsoil, then they gradually dissolve when it is moistened;
- liquid mineral complexes are diluted with water and poured under the roots of the ficus.
If the top dressing is carried out correctly, the ficus will quickly restore its original appearance.
Where should ficus be placed in the house?
There are several rules for choosing a place for a flower:
- in the cold season, it can be placed on the south side;
- in summer, east windows are more suitable for him;
- do not place the plant in a draft or near the battery.
Do not move the ficus more than 2 times a year. A change in the microclimate can cause him stress.