Hoya Bella is an ornamental culture that belongs to the Lastovnev family.
The plant is used to decorate flower beds on the leaf and is also grown at home. Hoya Bella is able to decorate with her presence any place, wherever you put her.
You will learn more about what this beautiful flower is, how it is taken care of at home and how it looks in the photo. Also in the article we will talk about plant diseases and their consequences.
hoya bella Plant Structure and Characteristic
The correct name for the culture is Hoya lanceolata bella. It is a tropical plant that is most often used for home growing, planted in hanging planters.
Hoya bella can be distinguished by the following appearance features:
- Root system . In a plant, it is small and weak. So that the bushes do not die, they should be grown in flat and wide containers, planting 2-3 sprouts.
- Stem . In the hoya, it is thin, soft and flexible. The color is gray-green, has thick internodes and a large number of leaves. Shoots are long, falling type, do not need support. Branching stems, prone to rapid growth, form large flower umbrellas at the tips.
- Leaves . Their shape is rhomboid, the edges are pointed. The length of the leaf plate is 2-4 cm. The outer side of the leaf is dark green, and the inner side is whitish.
- Flowers . Hoya Bella has very beautiful flowers. Their shape resembles small white stars with a pink or purple crown inside. They are found in rounded umbellate inflorescences, 7-9 pieces each.
hoya bella Popular Varieties
Variegata hoya bella
This ornamental crop has interesting leaves. They are dark green along the edge and apple-colored in the middle. This type of hoya bella is the most beautiful. The plant is no less attractive during flowering. But the culture is growing slowly, and it is also demanding in terms of care.
Albomarginata hoya bella
This plant has light leaves, the edges of which are almost white. Long and lush flowering. The flowers are white, with a lilac center inside. Before purchasing a Hoya, you should carefully read all the growing conditions that are required for it.
hoya bella plant indoor care
Hoya Bella prefers to grow in a well-lit place. If you grow it on the south window, then during the day you will have to shade the plant, protecting it from direct sunlight.
It is necessary to moisten the soil in which hoya Bella grows as it dries. In this case, it is important to prevent waterlogging and stagnation of water in the sump. During flowering, the plant will have to be watered 3 times a week, and then 2 times a month. The water should be kept warm. Its temperature should be 2-3 degrees higher than room temperature.In winter, watering should be sharply reduced to 2 times a month.
Hoya bella reacts negatively to hot weather. For its full growth and development, temperature indicators should be 22-25 degrees in summer, and 17-18 degrees in winter. The plant will not tolerate drafts and sudden temperature fluctuations.
When growing this ornamental plant, it is very important to properly prepare the substrate. You can use ready-made soil designed for orchids, just add a little sand to it. Very often, gardeners use a nutritional composition prepared with their own hands. To do this, combine the following components in a 2: 1: 1: 1 ratio:
- sod land;
In addition to the components presented, add finely chopped bark, moss and charcoal.
Hoya Bella does not like to grow in pots that are too spacious.
A small, shallow container is suitable for her, in which the roots will barely fit. Small plastic pots with drainage holes are great.
Be sure to put a small layer of drainage on the bottom of the container. This will help remove excess moisture from the pot.
Be careful when planting, as the plant is poisonous.
It is necessary to add nutrients in the summer. Just do it no more than 2-3 times a month. Use complex mineral fertilizers for these purposes. It is better to refuse to apply an increased dose of fertilizers, since this may cause the flower to die.
At the end of flowering, it is not recommended to cut off dried inflorescences. After a while, fruits are formed on them. New flowers can also appear on old peduncles.
If the flower is in the open field
There are no special differences in terms of caring for a flower when growing it in the open field. It is important to place the plant in a well-sanctified place, protected from drafts.
It is also not recommended to frequently transplant hoya. The fact is that frequent transplants, will expend a lot of energy to adapt to new conditions.
But for the winter, the bushes will have to be dug up and transplanted into pots, since in the harsh climate in winter the plant will die. Water the flower as the soil dries. It is better to do this in the evening or in the morning. Apply top dressing 3 times over the summer.
Caring for indoor plants is challenging but very enjoyable. Any green pet needs your care and attention. Hoya is no exception.
hoya bella pest and diseases
If you water the soil too often, then this is fraught with development:
- powdery mildew;
- root rot.
To save the plant from the first ailment, you must:
- Remove all leaves affected by whitish bloom.
- Then replace the top layer of the earth and treat the bushes with fungicidal preparations.
If root rot is affected, the plant will have to be removed, since it is impossible to save it. Hoya’s root system is weak, since it immediately dies from waterlogging.
When growing a flower in an open field, it can be affected by such pests:
- Spider mite .To combat it, you need to process the plant with Actellik solutions (15 drops per 1 liter of water). It is also necessary to increase the humidity in the room.
- Shield .To combat the parasite, you have to wipe the leaves with soapy water. If there are a lot of pests, then treatment with karbofos will come to the rescue.
- Mealybug .To eliminate it, a solution of onion peel is used. For its preparation, it is necessary to pour 220 g of raw materials with 10 liters of boiling water. Insist for 5 days, and then filter and use for spraying.
hoya bella plant propagation
This method of growing is the most common, as it allows you to grow strong and resistant to negative factors plants. But it is impossible to get a bush with exact varietal characteristics in this way.
Fresh planting material will have to be brought to full maturity with the help of light drying. The soil for planting must absorb moisture well. To do this, place burlap and felt in the ground.
Plant the seeds fairly quickly, it should not take more than a year after harvest. Otherwise, they will lose their ability to germinate. After planting, the first shoots are formed after 7 days. A short stem with several leaves appears.
This period is considered the most difficult, so several care recommendations must be followed:
- Do not allow the soil to dry out. Also, make sure that there is no waterlogging, as this can cause putrefactive processes, and the sprouts will wither.
- To avoid the development of fungal diseases, it is necessary to spray the bushes with fungicides. Do not use oil-based products.
- Protect seedlings from snails and slugs, which are especially active at night.
- At the initial stage of growth, do not use top dressing, as there is a risk that the seedlings will burn.
- If you choose the right soil, then you do not need to apply top dressing.
Hoya bella can be grown from a single leaf. Of course, this method of reproduction is not in particular demand, since it is not always possible to get a new plant. Rooting powder is indispensable here.
To multiply the sheets, you need to make every effort. Plant the leaf in a light substrate that allows air to pass through perfectly. The leaf takes root quickly, without growing into an adult flower.
To grow hoya from a single leaf, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- To excite growth cells in the leaves of a plant, it is necessary to use chemical preparations. To do this, using a pipette, drop the agent into the center of the leaf, which should flow evenly downward.
- A leaf that has at least a small petiole has a better chance of full growth and development.
- Plant the leaf only in a loose substrate at an angle of 45 degrees.
This breeding method is the easiest. With its help, you can get a plant with accurate preservation of varietal characteristics.
- The planting material chosen for rooting must be last year. It should have 2 pairs of leaves.
- To make it quickly start up the roots, cut it off in the middle of the internode. You can install the handle in a glass of water or in a special soil.
- After 45-50 days, sprout roots, so that it can be planted in a permanent place.
Hoya Bella is an incredibly beautiful plant with decorative foliage and delicate flowers. The flower is grown mainly at home , since it cannot withstand winter frosts. If all the conditions for growing are met, flowering will be long and lush.