Everyone can make mistakes in caring for indoor plants. In order to understand why the plant leaves dry and crispy, despite careful care, you need to carefully study the rules for caring for them. In addition, this problem may indicate completely different reasons that require completely different principles of solution. Consider the reasons why leaves dry.
Why Do plant leaves dry and crispy?
To find out the reason for the appearance of dried edges on the edges of pets, understanding the essence of the problem will help. First of all, it is worth examining what kind of deformation of the sheet plate was detected, and how much it spread over the surface:
- the leaves turned yellow, dried up and fell off;
- only the tips are dry;
- dry spots along the edges of the sheet;
- large spot in the center;
- the whole leaf became faded and began to curl, gradually drying out;
- dots or spots along the surface of the sheet.
plants leaves dry and crispy: Solution and Reasons
Due to pests
First of all, you should check the green pet for pests. There can be a lot of reasons for their appearance. For example, the air is too dry during the period of radiator heating. For them, these conditions are just perfect. Yesterday the flower was fresh and beautiful, but today it may have a mass of spider mites sucking the sap. It can be very difficult to notice them, as they are located at the bottom of the leaves.
Examine carefully the entire surface, stems, and trunk. There are several of the most common pests that cause leaf drying.
- Spider mite. It is a small arachnid that feeds on plant sap. You can see small gray dots on the lower part of the drying sheet, and its upper side is covered with light spots – traces of punctures. The parasite spreads quickly, but only affects the weakened, so you should immediately start treatment with an insecticide.
- Thrips are small sucking pests. They, like the mite, prefer dry air. The appearance resembles a front sight, 2 mm long. It is not discernible on the leaves, however, traces of its vital activity are visible in the form of passages inside the leaf surface. They can be distinguished by the silvery highlights that remain after the development of their larvae. The most effective way to combat will be a systemic intestinal drug.
- Aphid. Its colonies are located on young shoots, the back of the leaves. After their residence, sticky marks and loss of turgor remain. Leaves quickly begin to dry and fall off.
- Whiteflies are considered distant relatives of aphids and suck sap from plants. Their number is growing very quickly, so if measures are not taken in time, the plant may die. You can only affect adults, with the help of insecticides.
- Scabbards are insects that are difficult to destroy. They look like brown bumps and feed on the sap of indoor flowers. To combat it is better to use preparations of intestinal action.
In addition, parasites often live on roots and soil surfaces. To combat them, there are a large number of special insecticide preparations Aktara, Fitoverm, Confidor. These are drugs that do not harm bees and decompose quickly. The description of the use of drugs is written on the packaging and it is very convenient.
Read also White Spots On Indoor Plant Leaves.
due to placment of plant
Visible flaws on the leaves can appear if a shade-loving plant is placed in the bright sun. A sunburn will instantly dry out the delicate surface, making it first brown and later black. This happens because of the high temperature there is rapid evaporation of moisture.
In order to remedy the situation, you should not immediately carry it to a cold shower. Put it in the shade. It should cool naturally. Then spray it with a spray bottle and put it in a more suitable place. Over time, the burnt leaves will turn black and fall off. During this period, the plant should be carefully looked after, foliar feeding should be carried out and turgor should be regularly monitored.
Irrigation Water Can Cause Deterioration Of Foliage
Another reason why indoor flowers turn yellow and dry leaves may be the hard structure of the water used for watering. Tap water often contains a high percentage of salts, chlorine, fluoride, and heavy substances. The first signs of their overabundance will be a brown-beige hard coating on the surface of the pot from the inside, and then on the surface of the soil. Dry ends are a salt burn.
To help, it is enough to remove 2-3 top centimeters of soil in the container and replace it with a fresh one. Changing the substrate will help remove the negative effects of a dense layer of saline soil, and allow oxygen to better get to the roots of the green pet.
Check it out Centipede Infestation In House Plant.
Why Do Indoor Plants Dry Leaf Tips Or Edges
In flowering plants (very often this happens in anthurium, spathiphyllum), the tips of the leaves or completely the edge of the leaf dry out. This is a lack of potassium. With intensive flowering, the plant actively tolerates potassium. Therefore, before and during flowering, the flower must be fed with phosphorus-potassium fertilizer with a small amount of nitrogen. Specialized fertilizers for flowering plants are suitable.
The wrong fertilization regime can affect the condition of the leaves. Moreover, an overabundance and a deficiency will equally negatively affect the state of the plant. Dry black spots indicate root death, which is caused either by a lack of nutrients or by a burn from a high concentration.
You can distinguish these spots from others by their location (on the sides of the foliage) and color (they are darker). It is possible to correct the situation if, when the plant is depleted, foliar feeding is carried out, and then switching to full-fledged complementary foods. If the soil is acidified from too much fertilizer doses, then the only option to help the green friend is a complete change of the substrate. At the time of transplantation, the condition of the roots is carefully examined and the decayed ones are removed.
indoor plant leaves turning yellow and dry
If the leaves of a houseplant turn yellow and dry and then fall off, this may be due to the change of season. The transition from sunny and warm to cloudy and cool autumn is stressful. At the same time, in order to preserve existing reserves and wait for the restoration of favorable environmental conditions, the plant sheds part of its leaves.
Similar behavior is observed in citrus fruits, ficuses, and tree-like forms. In order to make this transition softer, provide additional lighting with a phytolamp, air humidification, and a comfortable temperature that corresponds to the natural climate where the plants grow.
Incorrect Temperature And Watering
High temperature during the resting period. This applies to azaleas, gloxinia, hippeastrum, tuberous begonia, caladium, etc. The plant does not just suffer, it disrupts its life cycle. This is explained by the fact that after the active growing season, the flower must go into a state of complete dormancy in order to comfortably survive the winter.
In their natural habitat, they dry out and shed all the leaves, and with the arrival of spring, they grow again. Without lowering the temperature, continuing watering and feeding, flower growers interfere with the transition of the plant to sleep and thereby greatly weaken its reserve. The easiest way to fix this situation is to move the flower pot to a cooler place, reduce watering and completely stop fertilizing.
Lack of moisture in the substrate. If your favorite plant has begun to dry out the casting, re-examine its watering preferences. Maybe he just doesn’t have enough water. In this case, gradually increase the amount of added moisture, but do not overdo it, as dry roots can rot very quickly.
If this happened and after strong drying, the plant was flooded, then the only way to save it is to remove, remove the damaged areas, process, and plant in new soil.
Often the problem arises when plants of different types and habitats are looked after in the same way. The only way to solve the problem is to study the preferences of each specimen and draw up a new schedule for watering, feeding, and spraying (if it can be done).
Dry Air And Heat From Radiators
Insufficient air humidity, regardless of the season. This reason is considered the most common, especially among tropical plants. With the onset of winter, the indoor air becomes unnaturally dry. While the norm for them is 80%, the humidity in fact is only 30%. Plants of temperate climates prefer 60% moisture. Leaves may dry out due to lack of air moisture.
To improve the situation, they:
- sprayed from a spray bottle;
- humidify the air using special devices;
- put containers with flowers on pallets with pebbles and water;
- hang a wet rag on the battery.
If the plants are on a windowsill, do not place the leaves over the radiator.
See also When Is The Best Time To Plant Lavender?
Compaction Of A Clod Of Earth, Poor Aeration Of The Roots
For many years without a transplant, in the same container, it provokes soil compaction. The roots emerging from the drainage hole speak most eloquently about this. They simply lack nutrients and oxygen. Dried leaves indicate that they need a larger pot, a new substrate.
Incorrect Temperature Conditions
In winter, it is important not to allow the green mass of pets to come into contact with the cold glass surface. This causes surface hypothermia, dehydration, curling, and drying out. Cold drafts during ventilation have a similar effect. Place containers in such a way as to avoid such situations. For plants of a subtropical climate (myrtle, citrus, bay leaves, cyclamen) in winter, it is necessary to lower the temperature to 13-15 C. For plants of a tropical climate, they can withstand one temperature of 20-13 C all year round but are subject to good lighting. If the lighting has deteriorated, then you need to reduce watering and the temperature of the content.
Prevenstions for plant leaves dry and crispy
In order to quickly figure out why a plant is stressed and drying out its leaves, you can study the types of ways that the tips of the leaves of indoor flowers dry out. Having decided on the cause and eliminating it, it is important to prevent relapse. To do this, carefully study the information on the care of flowers that you have and strictly adhere to it. So, if the leaves dry, then you need to act immediately.
1. If a green pet does not belong to plants with a pronounced dormant period in the winter, arrange for him a periodic warm shower. This will get rid of dust, a possible attack of pests, and improve the appearance.
2. Water and spray with settled, soft water.
3. Observe the rules of caring for plants.
4. Inspect for pests in time.
5. Humidify the air in the apartment.
6. Be sure to use a drain and drain excess water from the sump.
7. After purchase, new plants must be placed separately for two weeks so that it goes through quarantine.
8. Provide supplementary lighting in winter.
By following all the recommendations and consciously caring for your green friends, you can achieve their ideal appearance and beautiful flowering.
An experienced florist will never have a question about why indoor plants dry. The right approach is important. If dry spots appear on the leaves, they turn yellow or fall off, then the reason is often improper care. Using the listed tips, you can quickly identify the error and correct the situation.