Peperomia is a longtime favorite of flower growers. Despite the fact that there is practically no flowering, the appearance of the flower fits perfectly into the interior of the apartment, adds coziness. When grown correctly, you can get a beautiful, showy bush on the window. Read about all the intricacies and features of the content in our article, we will tell you what variegated peperomia is, what it looks like, how to care for it, transplant it and propagate it, as well as what diseases and pests can threaten it.
variegated peperomia Botanical description
Among plants, it is classified as an epiphyte from the tropical and subtropical regions of South America. Belongs to the family of pepper, perennial, herbaceous plants. In size, there are representatives from 14 centimeters high and up to half a meter.
Reference! The very name “peperomia” is translated from Greek as “like pepper”.
Variegated peperomia or Peperomia Variegata is presented in three varieties:
- dull-leaved (Obtusifolia Variegata);
- magnolia-leaved (Magnoliaefolia Variegata);
- clusiophilous (Сlusiifolia Variegata).
variegated peperomia structure and photo
In botany, the term “variegation” means variegation. That is, in each variety, this type of foliage can be selected. There is a blunt-leaved, magnolia-leaved, clusiform variegated peperomia.
- The leaves of a dull, variegated subspecies are usually creamy white with a green center. As a rule, they have a border and a grayish pattern. The trunk itself is creeping, large. The leaves are round, dense.
- Magnolia-leaved variegat looks different. It is a plant with erect leaves and vigorously branching shoots. The foliage is fleshy, wide, with white or yellowish blotches, specks.
- Clusialeafis is a large plant with thick reddish stems. A leaf plate of a light, milky shade with a light red bloom, small light-colored specks and a burgundy edging.
This flower does not occur in nature, therefore its prevalence around the world depends only on a person.
variegated peperomia care at home
Location and illumination
This flower requires moderate, diffused light without direct sunlight onto the plant. It is best to keep the pot on the west or east side. However, if this is not possible, direct rays from the south window can be scattered using paper or translucent fabric. The duration of daylight hours should be 15-16 hours.
In spring and summer, it needs abundant watering, by autumn – in moderate. The water for irrigation should be slightly warmer than the general air temperature. It is important not to flood the plant, otherwise, root decay is inevitable. It is optimal to water when the topsoil is completely dry.
Important! The humidity of the environment should be maintained at 60%, occasionally spraying the leaves.
Pruning and replanting
Pruning is done as it grows. Here’s a quick guide if you want to make a plant formation.
- Inspect peperomia and determine the desired shape.
- Pinch the tops of the shoots at the level of the fifth or fourth leaf.
- If desired, you can root the cut parts.
Young peperomias are transplanted annually in the spring, over three years old – every two years. Below is a step-by-step transplant guide :
- Find the right pot. It should be only two to three centimeters larger than the previous one.
- Pour a three-centimeter layer of drainage and the same amount of new soil at the bottom.
- Gently remove the plant from the old pot and rinse the root system.
- Dip the flower into a new container and sprinkle with the rest of the earth. Do not compact the soil!
- Moisten the substrate slightly and sprinkle with earth again.
The ideal soil will be a combination of peat, leafy soil, and river sand in a ratio of 1: 2: 1.
Additional light is needed in winter. Conventional incandescent lamps can be used. Placing them at a distance of 40-50 cm above the plant. Light winter day should be 8 hours. It is imperative to apply specialized fertilizers every month throughout the winter.
variegated peperomia propagation
It is important to remember that this method is applicable in spring and summer.
- It is necessary to cut off the top or stem part with two to three nodal buds.
- Place either in rooting water or in soil, covered with a plastic bottle.
- Then, for 20-30 days, maintain the temperature in an organized greenhouse at around 23-25 degrees.
This method is quite simple and affordable even for beginners.
- Moisten the soil.
- Remove the plant and disassemble it into several bushes, carefully separating the roots.
- Transplant each bush to a different pot.
- Especially avoid direct sunlight in the first week after the procedure.
Growing from seeds
- Pick up a wide container for planting seeds.
- Prepare soil in a 1: 1 ratio of sand and leafy earth.
- Moisten the soil and sow seeds.
- Create greenhouse conditions: cover with glass or foil. Maintain a temperature of 25 degrees.
- Spray seedlings periodically with a spray.
- Dive seedlings after the formation of two true leaves into boxes at a distance of 4 cm from each other.
- Provide moderately bright but diffuse lighting.
- Plant the grown small peperomia in separate pots. The container should be no more than 7 centimeters in diameter.
variegated peperomia Bloom
Usually, these plants do not have prominent inflorescences. In the summer, long green spikelets-columns appear this is all flowering.
variegated peperomia Diseases and pests
- Falling or darkening of leaves. Usually associated with a sharp drop in air temperature and poor watering.
- Shriveled leaves. It manifests itself with an excess of direct sunlight.
- Rot spots and fading are associated with waterlogging of the soil.
- Of the pests, the most dangerous and unpleasant for peperomia are thrips, ticks, scale insects, nematodes. After treatment with insecticidal preparations, the problem disappears.
variegated peperomia Similar flowers
Each flower is unique, but the variegated peperomia has something similar and these flowers definitely have :
- Japanese Fatsia.
- Fat woman.
- Ficus is rubbery.
In the article, we examined an interesting houseplant and found out what the variegation in peperomias is. Now you can not only show off your knowledge, but also grow an interesting flower at home.