The indoor plant Zamioculcas zamiifolia also has another name, dollar tree.
Our growers loved this plant for its undemanding care and original beautiful leaves that resemble “green dollars”.
Zamioculcas zamiifolia description
The culture in question belongs to the aroid family. The natural habitat of these plants is considered to be African countries with desert terrain.
Here Zamioculcas zamiifolia grows next to other succulents, which absorb moisture with thick fleshy rhizomes and massive shoots. Such crops use the accumulated moisture during prolonged drought.
The underground part of the zamiokulkas is well branched and powerful. The leaves of the culture are erect, fixed on thick petioles. The surface of the leaf blades is leathery with a characteristic waxy coating.
Note! From the description of the given description of the plant, it can be understood that all its parts are adapted to accumulate water, which the plant will use during the period of drought.
The flower of female happiness (another name for zamiokulkas) rarely throws out peduncles, especially when grown in apartment conditions. The inflorescences of this culture resemble an ear with numerous nondescript flowers.
This organ is difficult to notice against the general background of the plant because it is covered with a large green veil. Zamioculcas zamiifolia is able to decorate any interior of a dwelling. It develops slowly, the size of an adult plant reaches 1 meter in height.
Zamioculcas zamiifolia Care
Zamioculcas zamiifolia is considered a favorite plant for many housewives, caring for it at home is not difficult because its roots quickly absorb moisture, and use its reserves as needed. In order for the culture to constantly delight the eye with lush greenery, it is necessary to follow some rules.
Temperature and light conditions
The flower in question needs a sufficient amount of heat and dry air, so a well-lit window sill, which is located on the south side of the house, is considered the best place to grow it in an apartment.
Many indoor flowers do not tolerate direct exposure to sunlight, but this is not considered a problem for Zamioculcas zamiifolia.
It is necessary to prevent the influence of intense sunlight at noon, as well as during prolonged hot weather. For this, the plant is slightly covered with a curtain. The culture in question can adapt to a lack of sunlight, but its growth will be less intense.
Correct care of Zamioculcas zamiifolia consists in maintaining the temperature indicators in the apartment within the range of 18-25 degrees. With the arrival of winter, the temperature in the room can be reduced to 17 degrees.
For the normal process of photosynthesis, the culture must have unhindered access to fresh air, which is ensured by ventilating the living space.
Watering Zamioculcas zamiifolia
When moistening the soil, the florist must take into account that the plant in question can accumulate a certain amount of moisture, which he will use during a prolonged drought.
Few gardeners know how to water Zamioculcas zamiifolia in order to support the intense growth of the flower.
Consider the basic rules for watering a plant:
- Excess moisture will certainly lead to the death of the culture. In this regard, it is necessary to water the plant with special care, which will prevent root rot. It is impossible to save the flower if the root system is damaged.
- Prolonged drought is contraindicated in culture. Lack of moisture in the soil leads to drying and wilting of the leaves. Subsequent watering will help the plant recover.
- To moisten the soil under zimiocalcas, it is recommended to use rainwater or tap water that has been settled for 12 hours.
- The pallet under the plant pot must always be dry . After watering, it is gently wiped with a soft dry cloth.
- Dried soil for zamiokulkas indicates the need for next watering.
- A plant in a small pot is watered much more often than a similar crop in a large pot.
In winter, the amount of watering is reduced in comparison with summer.
Fertilizer for Zamioculcas zamiifolia
During the growing season, this houseplant needs additional nutrients.
Fertilizer for Zamioculcas zamiifolia (for ornamental and deciduous crops) is sold in specialized stores.
You need to feed an indoor flower in compliance with the following rules:
- The composition is diluted with water according to the recommendations specified in the instructions.
- Nutrients must be applied to moistened soil . In this case, drops of the solution should not fall on the leaves of the culture.
- It is possible to use foliar dressings on leaves. In this case, the concentration of the active substance in the solution is reduced.
Root dressings are applied under Zamioculcas zamiifolia at intervals of two weeks. In winter, the plant is not fed. During this period, it is at rest.
When can I transplant a Zamioculcas zamiifolia plant?
The dollar tree is characterized by moderate growth, therefore, such plants must be moved to a new container every 2-4 years. Florists are interested in what kind of pot is needed for Zamioculcas zamiifolia. The answer is simple the new flowerpot should have a slightly larger diameter than the previous container, while the planting depth of the culture remains unchanged.
During transplantation, it is necessary to check the root system of the flower for the presence of putrefactive areas. Such places are carefully cut off with a sharp knife, the places of the cuts are covered with crushed charcoal.
The soil for Zamioculcas zamiifolia should have good aeration and low acidity.
Such soil can be bought in a specialized store (soil for cacti and succulents) or prepared yourself from peat, sand, and garden soil.
After transplanting, it is necessary to fill up the soil and water it. Next, the flowerpot with the plant is set in a shaded place for two weeks, then moved to a well-lit windowsill.
Propagation of Zamioculcas zamiifolia
The culture in question can be quickly propagated by vegetative parts.
Experienced flower growers use several methods for obtaining new plants:
- Using cuttings . In this case, a young shoot is cut off from the mother plant and planted in a moist nutrient substrate. What kind of land is needed for Zamioculcas zamiifolia are novice gardeners interested in? For planting cuttings, it is better to use a mixture of peat and sand in equal proportions. Such soil is poured into a plastic cup and the cutting is buried there. Above the plant, set the upper cut of a plastic bottle and wait for the rooting of the culture.
- Dividing the bush gives a good effect . Experienced florists use this breeding method. They simply divide the crop into several parts during transplanting and move the bushes into new containers.
Important! Be extremely careful when working with Zamioculcas zamiifolia. The juice of this plant contains poisonous substances. After carrying out activities for the care of the culture, you should wash your hands with soap and water.
Zamioculcas zamiifolia diseases and problems
Due to the presence of toxic substances in the cells, the plant is almost not affected by diseases and pests. Flower problems arise from improper care.
One of these reasons is considered to be excessive soil moisture.
When the root system is oversaturated with moisture, rotting of small roots and the appearance of black spots on the surface of the leaves.
In such a situation, it is necessary to carefully pull the plant out of the flowerpot, remove the rotting roots and sprinkle the wounds with an antiseptic, for example, activated carbon.
It is interesting! The lack of flowering of Zamioculcas zamiifoliacan is explained by a small age. In general, it is almost impossible to achieve flowering of this culture in indoor conditions.
The yellowing of the leaves on the flower occurs as a result of natural aging processes. Sometimes this happens due to exposure to drafts, insect damage, or a sharp change in temperature.
Zamikulkas is considered a wonderful flower for growing at home. He pleases his mistress with lush green foliage throughout the year and does not need special care.