Thanks to flowers of unusual beauty and shape, orchids have gained wide popularity among flower growers. But sometimes after the plant is brought home, some people notice a deterioration in well-being. and question do orchids have pollen and it cause allergy.
What to do in this case and does the orchid cause allergies in people?
do orchids have pollen allergy
During the flowering period, some people experience discomfort due to pollen. Are there really orchid allergies?
Allergies can appear on natural varieties of orchids.
Important! Orchid pollen is glued together, due to which it is unable to spread independently in the air, so this flower rarely causes negative reactions.
Can an orchid cause an allergy in an adult? Nevertheless, it cannot be completely excluded, since its appearance can provoke some concomitant diseases :
- Respiratory system diseases;
- Immunodeficiency states;
- Bacterial or viral infections.
Such people more often than others choose the orchid as a houseplant. But before buying, you need to familiarize yourself with whether orchids are allergic or not.
Much more often than pollen, allergies are caused by the components of the substrate:
- Coconut fiber;
- Sphagnum moss;
- Peat, etc.
The absence or presence of a reaction depends on the individual tolerance of the person.
See also Benefits and harmful effects of orchids.
Features of manifestation in adults and children
Can a child have an allergy? Allergies can appear in both an adult and a child.
It can manifest itself with a number of non-specific symptoms :
- Puffiness appears on the mucous membrane of the throat and larynx;
- The eyes are watery, the whites of the eyes turn red;
- Runny nasal discharge;
- The nasal cavity is blocked;
- Breathing is difficult.
- An allergy can manifest itself in the smell of an orchid.
It should be borne in mind that similar symptoms can occur when exposed to other allergens.
It is known that some people do not tolerate the smell of inflorescences, then it is better for them not to start orchids with a pronounced aroma ( Cymbidium, Cumbria, Dendrobium ), as sometimes this can lead to swelling of the upper respiratory tract with an extremely unfavorable outcome.
Interesting! The severity of allergic manifestations is proportional to the duration of contact with the plant.
Causes of Orchid pollen allergy
Orchid allergy depends on the health of the body and is complicated by the presence of a number of diseases:
- Genetic predisposition of the body to allergies;
- Diseases of the endocrine system;
- Abnormal functioning of the immune system.
The degree of manifestation of allergic reactions is influenced by:
- Air humidity / dryness;
- The amount of proteins contained in pollen;
- The number of orchids in the room.
Important! To reduce the manifestation of allergies, it is necessary to use a humidifier, constantly maintaining the humidity in the apartment at about 50%.
Want solution for Unhealthy Orchid Roots.
Diagnosing of Orchid allergy
Various studies will help determine the allergen that caused the negative reaction of the body. To do this, carry out :
- Microscopy of nasal discharge;
- Blood test for immunoglobulin;
- Determine the leukocyte formula, etc.If you have spots on your skin after purchasing an orchid, see your doctor.
Skin tests are very important to determine the reaction of the skin when it comes into contact with a possible allergen.
Treatment of Orchid allergy
If signs of allergy appear, the flower must be taken out of the house or at least entrusted with caring for it to another family member, after which treatment should begin. Treatment of any allergy always involves an integrated approach that includes a number of measures.
A method for eliminating allergens from the environment of a patient with allergic reactions to prevent their re-entry into the body. For this it is recommended :
- Drink at least 2 liters of water;
- Rinse the nasopharynx with a mild salt solution;
- Carry out wet cleaning.
These simple steps can significantly reduce allergy symptoms.
To reduce the burden on the body, foods that can provoke an allergic reaction are excluded from the daily diet :
- Citrus fruits, etc.
During the treatment period :
- Limit the use of spicy, fatty and spicy foods;
- They also use enterosorbents to remove the allergen from the body.
In some cases, your doctor may prescribe allergy medications :
- Nasal drops;
- Ointments that reduce itchingSpecial ointments help well against the manifestation of allergies on the skin.
- Eye drops;
- Anti-inflammatory drugs.
The choice of drugs is determined by :
- Place of manifestation;
- And the course of an allergic reaction.
This will allow you to quickly get rid of unpleasant symptoms .
Important! You need to take medications only as directed by your doctor.
A decoction of medicinal chamomile soothes itching well. To prepare it :
- Dried chamomile is poured into 0.5 l of water (1 tbsp. Spoon);
- The mixture is heated in a water bath for about 15 minutes;
- The broth is cooled and filtered.
With a ready-made product, wipe the skin or take 50 ml of broth before meals.
Preventive measures for Orchid allergy
Preventive measures will help to exclude possible allergic manifestations, for this :
- The room with orchids is periodically ventilated;
- Clean the room with a damp cloth;
- Orchid pots are not placed in the bedroom or near the workplace;
- Chemicals are minimally used for the care and feeding of orchids, while wearing personal protective equipment (gloves, respirator).
If these measures did not have the desired effect, then the orchid should be removed from the apartment, because health is more expensive.
Timely measures taken will allow not only to maintain health but also to grow this exotic orchid flower.