Tacca chantrieri is often referred to as “bat”, “black butterfly”, “devil’s flower”, and “black orchid“. The latter is not entirely correct. Despite the fact that the tacca looks very much like an orchid, it does not belong to the orchid family, but to the tacca family.
These are also tropical plants that are most common on the shores of water bodies in West Africa, Southeast Africa, South America and Australia. Most often, Tacca chantrieri can be found in India and Malaysia.
What does Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri look like
In the photo, Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri looks like a massive flower on a long thin stem, surrounded by juicy large leaves. In fact, this is not one flower, but a whole composition, which consists of several umbrella-shaped inflorescences surrounded by massive bracts.
Inflorescences have a dark purple hue. Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri can grow up to a meter in height. Large leaves are located closer to the roots.
bat flower varieties
Tacca flowers may look different. It depends on the variety of the plant, of which there are not so many about 10. The most common flowers from the family of such are:
- Tacca Chantrier. The flower that most closely resembles an orchid. The entire crown has a purple hue and an umbrella shape.
- Pinnatifida. A monophonic green plant that looks a little like a flower. It can grow up to 3 meters in height.
- Whole-leaved. It is sometimes called the “white bat”. It differs from the famous Chantrier in that the petals that form an “umbrella” are white in color and rise above the main inflorescences.
- Palmate. It differs in that it is green in color and in the place of inflorescences it quickly has rather large fruits.
- Tacca Parker. It does not have pronounced massive bracts, but differs in its original color – green with bright ink splashes.
bat flower Tacca chantrieri care
Caring for Bat Flower Tacca chantrieri is a bit like caring for orchids. The Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri plant is considered tropical, so for comfort it needs:
- humidity: Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri does not tolerate dry air, the plant requires regular moisture; here all means can be used: air humidifiers, spraying with water and even “steam baths” (leaving Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri at night in a room filled with steam)
- light: Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri will grow well in a shady place, it is better to protect it from direct exposure to the sun
- temperature: in the room where the Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri is located, the temperature should not fall below +18 degrees, it is also necessary to provide access to fresh air, while avoiding drafts
- watering: in summer it requires daily watering with water at room temperature, in the cool period it is necessary to monitor how quickly the flower absorbs moisture and also water regularly
Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri Propagation methods
propagation of tacca is through seeds
The main method of propagation of tacca is through seeds, which are easy to obtain from inflorescences. Before planting, they must be put in warm water and left for a day. It is desirable to maintain the water temperature at the same level. To do this, you can wrap the container with foil or heat-retaining materials.
You can also soak the seeds in a thermos. After that, it is necessary to plant the seeds one by one in peat cups with soil, but so that no more than 1 centimeter remains to the surface.
Seed cups should be in greenhouse conditions and sprayed daily with water. The germination process can take from a month to six months.
divide bat flower rhizomes
Another way is to divide the rhizome. During transplantation, it is necessary to divide the plant and cut off the upper part so that the rhizome remains intact. When transplanting, the cut must be treated with activated charcoal and transplanted to a new location.
Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri fertilizer
Home care also includes feeding the plant with nutrients. In order for the Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri to grow and form properly, fertilizer should be applied during the period of flowering and active growth, that is, from spring to autumn. It is enough to fertilize the soil several times a month. In the cool period, Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri is not fertilized.
Threats that may arise
Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri is more resistant to external influences than orchids. By and large, only two dangers can lie in wait for her:
- root rot: if the owner does not know how to water the flower and floods the plant with water beyond measure; in this case, in order to save the Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri, it is necessary to get the plant from their pot, shake off the soil from the roots, cut off all damaged areas and completely replace the soil
- spider mite: growing at home is fraught with insufficient air humidity, which can provoke the appearance of a parasite that feeds on leaf sap; in this case, treatment with a special insecticide can help
black bat flower facts: Unusual health benefits Tacca chantrieri
In countries where Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri grows in the wild, the description of the flower is not a word of admiration for its beauty, but a tribute to its beneficial properties. For example, the root system of Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri contains a large amount of starch, which is widely used in the local production of sweets and baked goods.
At home, this is almost impossible to repeat, since in addition to starch, the root contains a dangerous substance. Before making products from Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri, its roots undergo a special treatment.
In some countries, the berries that ripen in Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri are actively eaten. Various fishing devices are made from a strong stem.
In addition, in tropical countries, Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri is used as a cure for various diseases and ailments. However, in our latitudes, Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri is just an ornamental plant that plays only an aesthetic role.
Bat Flower Tacca Chantrieri is a truly unusual plant that will decorate any home. Care at room conditions will not be difficult, the plant will perfectly “make friends” with any orchid and will look harmoniously next to it.
You can not separate care rituals and carry them out for these flowers at the same time. This will save you valuable time. In addition, such a houseplant can become an exotic gift that will not leave anyone indifferent.