Black orchids are mysterious and spectacular representatives of exotic plants. There is still no consensus on how the black orchid appeared. Despite the fact that many flower shops offer to purchase a black orchid, some growers continue to doubt the existence of unusual beauty in nature.
In this article, we will discuss the beautiful 20 black orchid flower varieties with photos and names as well as a care guide.
Do black orchids exist in nature or not?
Usually, an orchid that can be mistaken for black is actually dark purple, beetroot, burgundy, deep purple, or blue. If you look closely at the petals of a flower, you will find that they only look black from a distance. The black orchid was named because it was initially quite difficult to distinguish these shades from black.
In 2013, New York City breeders managed to develop what is considered the closest to black: Monnierara Millennium Magic Witchcraft.
If you are different types of orchids you can learn also at houseplantspro.com.
Black orchid habitat in nature
Most people are sure that fragile orchids are residents of exclusively tropical regions. However, botany claims that it is possible to meet a representative of the Orchid family on all continents (excluding the extreme south and north), in all climatic zones, and this family has more than 30,000 varieties.
Even the most common domestic genus, Phalaenopsis, has at least 50 variations.
It is difficult to meet a black orchid in its pure form. Most often, nature adds conspicuous white spots or pinkish-white stains to the dark color of the petals to attract the attention of insects.
Nevertheless, dark-colored phalaenopsis are found in the wilds of Thailand, the Philippines, and Australia. Note again that this color is actually not black.
black orchids dye
If the flower in the store has an even, uniform black color, this is a fake that has been artificially dyed. The second and subsequent flowering of such a phalaenopsis will most likely be in white since it is white flowers that perceive the pigment best.
Staining is done in several ways:
- The pigment is introduced with watering – the method is long, but does not harm the plant itself.
- With the help of an injection, the coloring of the petals will pass much faster than in the variant with watering, but the plant also experiences serious stress, so such flowers often die.
Only hybrid phalaenopsis can be truly dark colors with a uniform tone, but the price for such orchids is usually somewhat higher than for plants of other colors.
Where To Buy Black Orchids
You can easily buy black orchids from online stores or you can visit your nearest houseplants store
|Black Orchids at Amazon||Check Price|
|Two-Year-Old Rare Black Orchid||Check Price at Amazon|
|Live Orchid Plants with a Square Greenhouse Pot||Check Price at Amazon|
|Black Jewel Orchid||Check Price at Amazon|
20 black orchids Varieties (real black orchid flower)
The Black Orchid is one of the most luxurious flowers in the world. It is a symbol of wealth, power and beauty. Apart from being beautiful and expensive, these flowers are also known for their different types, which are found all over the world.
Today, many varieties of black orchids are known, bred by breeders.
- Fredclarkeara dark orchids
- Maxillaria schunkeana
- black Dracula roezlii
- Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight
- Vanda Robert’s Delight Black
- paph hsinying alien
- Paphiopedilum de Nachtwacht
- Paphiopedilum Hsinying Maru
- Paphiopedilum Night Watch
- Paphiopedilum Pisgah Midnight
- Doritaenopsis Black Bird phalaenopsis
- Phalaenopsis Kaoda Twinkle
- Phalaenopsis Naomi
- Phalaenopsis Black Jack
- Phalaenopsis Black Pearl
- Phalaenopsis Black Butterfly
- Phalaenopsis Black Prince
- Phalaenopsis Black Mambo
- Phalaenopsis ox black face
- Cat eye Black Orchid
Fredclarkeara dark orchids
Fredclarkeara After Dark “SVO Black Pearl”. Bred by breeder Fred Clarke in 1995, who worked for Sunset Valley Growers, located in Vista, California, USA.
It is said that this particular variety inspired the creation of the popular perfume called “Black Orchid”.
A very rare and expensive orchid variety. Epiphytic plant with 3-4 peduncles, on which at least 15 flowers appear, painted in a deep blueberry color. The flowers have a sweetish spicy aroma. Juicy bright green leaves die off for the winter.
- An interspecific hybrid involving catasetum, mormodes, and clowesia;
- Light green leaves are short-lived. After flowering, usually in winter, they dry up and die. They do have a dormant period. And ends with the beginning of the formation of a pseudobulb;
- And from it will come green stems and leaves;
- And flower stalks. Under good conditions, there can be 3-4 of them. 10-15 flowers collected in inflorescences. Flowers even up to 5-6 cm in diameter. With a slightly perceptible spicy aroma;
- For more than 8 weeks of flowering may continue;
- Good bright lighting with a moderate temperature (23-25 degrees) ensures its cultivation in an apartment and at home;
- And timely watering;
- Transplanted after 3-4 years. It may even be enough to update the top layer of soil. This is up to you to decide, taking into account the condition of the plant.
You may also like to learn about Oncidium Orchid Varieties.
Maxillaria Schunkeana. since 2007 belongs to the species of monocotyledonous plants of the genus Brasiliorchis of the orchid family. The stems of a small epiphytic plant native to Brazil reach up to 30 cm in height. Pseudobulbs are cylindrical in shape. The buds are similar to tulips, have a rich dark purple color. It is rare.
Maxillaria schunkeana black orchid characteristics:
- The Atlantic coast of Brazil is the birthplace and natural habitat of this orchid. More specifically, Espirito Santo. In tropical forests in the mountains from 700 and over 3000 meters above sea level;
- The height of the stems and leaves is 20-30 cm;
- And very short, barely noticeable peduncles only 4-5 cm. They grow, as it were, from under the bottom of the pseudobulbs. directly from the rhizome. No deepening and moistening;
- On one peduncle only one small flower. With four petals – no more than 1.5-2.5 cm;
- They grow in the root part. Among the large pseudobulbs. A little comparison suggests itself in shape with a tulip. Tulips are more familiar to us;
- In good light, the black color is, as it were, not quite black. But saturated purple is noticed by everyone. Turns black before the eyes when the lighting deteriorates;
- It is this species that is the blackest of all among orchids. That’s what experts say. Quite reasonably;
black Dracula roezlii
Dracula roezlii species of the genus Dracula was classified as a black orchid because of the bluish-black veins that cover the belt-like flowers. The plant is small in size and attracts attention with its exotic appearance. The second name of the flower is Monkey’s muzzle. In natural conditions, it is found in Colombia and Ecuador.
Dracula is one of the most unusual orchid species. Read here what other rare flowers of the orchid family are found in nature.
Orchid Dracula (Dracula). More than 120 types:
- You can also find other names. Orchid monkey. Son of the dragon. Little dragon. It is noted that this is almost the muzzle of a small dragon or a monkey muzzle;
- Orchid collector Benedict Roel discovered them in 1870 in the Cordillera;
- But Heinrich Gustav Reichenbach described it. He called him Chimera. If I hadn’t seen it myself, I wouldn’t have believed it. So he wrote.
black Dracula roezlii Orchid Characteristics:
- Exotic species of orchids. Although it is difficult to name non-exotic orchids. Colombia and Ecuador have the most of them. And some grow only in one valley. But most are on the slopes of the Cordillera over 1500 meters above sea level. Painfully tolerate changes in living conditions ;
- Low-growing plants. They do not have pseudobulbs;
- Miniature flowers (only about 2 cm in diameter). There are only 10-15 pieces of the original form. When you look closely at the flower, three petals are clearly visible. And the corolla is hard to see right away. Almost invisible;
- Fans and air conditioners allow you to create suitable conditions;
- Big fan of shade and moderate temperature. The cold suits him better. 15-18 degrees is the average temperature. And no more than 25 degrees;
- original form.
Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight
Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight. An evergreen epiphytic plant of the orchid family, growing up to 50 cm, with drooping peduncles. A bright representative of the genus cymbidium. The shape of the flowers is rounded. The petals are maroon, the lip is white with a dark spot.
The kiwi Knight cymbidium variety also belongs to black orchids.
Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight Orchid Characteristics:
- Some experts and amateurs consider the popularity of this species as a result of good promotion. And the achievement of photoshop. First of all, because of its extreme blackness;
- When describing it, such a photo is necessarily placed;
- What is he really like? Let’s get acquainted. Photo below. That’s what he is;
- Cymbidium is not easy to care for ;
- Bushy plant of simpoidal type;
- Several elongated leaves grow from pseudobulbs and hang down on the sides. Their length can be up to a meter;
- Flower stalks are also formed there. They may not be tied up, but formed in the form of a cascade;
- About a dozen large flowers (5-6 cm in diameter) are formed on one peduncle. And even more.
Important! After such an acquaintance, few people refuse to purchase them. Just show more care when buying.
Vanda Robert’s Delight Black
Vanda Robert’s Delight Black. An exotic flower of the genus Vendian. It reaches a height of 30–40 cm, dark green linear leaves grow up to 20–25 cm. Flowers grow up to 11–12 cm in diameter, have a rich purple hue.
Many orchids lover face provlems with leaves of orchid so here is Care Of Orchid Leaves to Get Healthy Beautiful Orchids Leaves.
paph hsinying alien
Several varieties of Paphiopedilum at once, or as this variety of orchids is often called, the lady’s slipper has a black tint:
- Paphiopedilum Stealth Black Dragon. This original flower on display in Tokyo in 2010 is a hybrid of Paphiopedilum Hsinying Maru and Paphiopedilum rothschildianum. The petals and shoe-shaped lips are deep maroons, almost black in color.
- Paphiopedilum Hsinying Alien Chris Leung. It has a light sail with burgundy stripes, but the lip and horizontal petals of a juicy dark brown color.
Paphiopedilum de Nachtwacht
On a long peduncle, only two flowers appear, which have a maroon or brown hue. Small and bright leaves look contrasting against the background of dark flowers.
Paphiopedilum Hsinying Maru
Unpretentious bright perennial. Flowers of unusual shape have shades from maroon to purple. Green and brown stripes and black dots can be found on the petals.
Paphiopedilum Night Watch
- A widely known species is more familiar under the name Venus slipper;
- Rosette orchid. She does not have a pseudobulb. It has several long leaves without a stem;
- If you make a good backlight, the brown tints of the maroon orchid will be clearly visible. Without it, you will admire dark colors;
- On a long and lonely peduncle, there is only one flower. But rather large 10-12 cm in diameter;
- What is important for him: the temperature is about 20 degrees. Or rather 18-22. Good light soil;
- You need to buy paphiopedilum carefully. The presence of three outlets, as it were, gives the soil for flowering for 10 years. If there are fewer outlets, you will first grow at least three of them. Then further flowering is possible.
Paphiopedilum Pisgah Midnight
- Very saturated tones will even allow you to have no doubts about black;
- And yet, on the purple-burgundy three petals, dark veins are quite noticeable, arcing to the pointed tip of the petal;
- Draws attention to the pocket. He is also called a shoe. It consists of three petals;
- And a very dark crimson pharynx. Not black;
- Paphiopedilum care is not difficult. So say connoisseurs of these orchids. And their owners;
- Transparent containers filled with a mixture of wood bark. Humid climate. This is just for this orchid.
Doritaenopsis Black Bird phalaenopsis
- This variety of phalaenopsis is the result of painstaking work. And the market has already appreciated it. Plant height (total) 35-40 cm;
- In a small pot with a diameter of 9 cm, it is sold for only 1000 rubles;
- The height of the peduncles reaches 35-40 cm. If they were higher, they would cost more. But this is midi;
- The flowers are not so big – 3-5 cm in diameter. But amazingly beautiful;
- Blueberry petals. Yes, and with a dark tint. The selling company casually notices that it can perhaps be called black. Not for nothing with the popularity of black orchids;
- Orchid Blackbird blooms every six months and about 8 months ;
- Midi-phalaenopsis. The diameter of the flower is 3-5 cm.
Doritaenopsis Ever Spring Prince Black Ruby. A hybrid called Prince Black Ruby was bred by crossing Phalaenopsis and Doritis. The stem of the plant is short, hidden under the leaves. Flowers are large, dark shades – from wine to deep purple.
Dark orchid phalaenopsis small ink color. Petals are bent forward, sepals back. Changes color in different lighting. A white column stands out against the background of a dark flower.
The original orchid will decorate any collection. The diameter is 5-6 cm. The flower has a waxy, leathery structure, the lip is as dark as the petals. The socket is miniature.
Phalaenopsis Kaoda Twinkle
This hybrid was registered relatively recently in 2011 in the UK.
White lip against a background of dark beet-colored petals. Sometimes there are burgundy specks on the lip. The flowers are unusually beautiful – waxy, odorless. They have an unusual texture, reminiscent of leather embossing. When fully opened, the petals curl back slightly. They reach 4-5 cm in size. The more flowers, the smaller they are.
As a rule, there are many branches on one peduncle, it forms a lush bush of small flowers. Looks very impressive. The rosette is also small, the leaves are smaller than the palm. Doesn’t take up much space. There are several varieties of this variety. The color is slightly different, and the flowers are fragrant.
Another orchid claims to be called Black. Conquers hearts with an unusual color. There are yellow blotches on maroon petals. The plant is small.
The diameter of the flower along the wide edge is 4-5 cm, it resembles a triangle in shape. Yellow burgundy and lip. Dense flowers with no fragrance. The lip and column on the reverse side are light. Willingly blooms even in adolescence.
Phalaenopsis Black Jack
The peculiarity of this orchid is that on one peduncle it grows 10-15 flowers, 6-7 cm in diameter. Peduncles in height reach 60 cm. In the sun, flowers of a rich wine color are noticeable.
The lip is dark, below with a light green tint. The petals are ribbed in texture, with small light, barely noticeable white veins at the tips. Sepals have slightly wavy edges.
Phalaenopsis Black Pearl
Against the background of beetroot, velvet petals, a neon center and edges of lilac petals stand out. Due to this, the effect of the glow of the flower is created. The lip is dark. The leaves are narrow and elongated.
Black pearl will decorate any collection. The petals are shaped like butterflies. Often blooms, buds are evenly distributed throughout the peduncle. When dissolving, each flower is located alternately.
Phalaenopsis Black Butterfly
The petals curved back really resemble a flying butterfly. Against a dark background, a light lip with yellow patches and a white border on the petals and on the upper sepal stand out in contrast.
The color is dark burgundy, wine changes depending on the lighting. A long peduncle and a large rosette, a strong plant is not greedy for flowering. The petals are velvety with an unusual shape in width. The edges are ruffle-like.
Phalaenopsis Black Prince
Dark petals of burgundy, deep purple hue with a purple-yellow lip and a white stripe along the edge of the petals. Also white stripes around the column. The structure is velvety. The size of the flowers reaches 8-10 cm. Large leaves, powerful rosette.
Phalaenopsis Black Mambo
One of the rare varieties of phalaenopsis. It has a white outline along the edge of the petals against a dark purple background. The lip is contrasting, it stands out against the background of dark petals. The height of the peduncle is 60 cm, which corresponds to the standard size. Flowers are 6-7 cm in diameter.
phalaenopsis ox black face
An amazing dark cherry phalaenopsis with a neon border around the edge of the petals, in the middle, near the column, and along the edges of the lip. Create a glowing effect. White stripes are visible on the lip, which add elegance. The diameter is 7-8 cm.
cat eye Black Orchid
This orchid is quite tall, about 4 m, has a dense blueberry color of the petals and a yellow throat. The petals are cast with a waxy sheen, which is why the flower is often mistaken for a skillful imitation.
Black Orchid Flower Blooming
You met with black orchids of various kinds. Each of them is unique. Especially in bloom. Various shapes and sizes of flowers. And other nuances.
- The flowering itself and its periods are completely dependent on the created conditions. Even in the same species, it can be different terms. And their duration;
- We strive to please the plant in such a way that they please flowering longer. And a lot;
- And then they reciprocate.
- Home conditions do not always correspond to natural ones;
- But you can bring them closer;
- Under good conditions (as in native places):
- Orchid Dracula can bloom without interruption. Even a whole year;
- Cymbidium blooms for several months. And this happens in hybrids just in the summer;
- Paphiopedilum has this period – maybe from October to April ;
- Phalaenopsis pleases with flowers twice a year.
Orchids delight with their flowering when creating good conditions. As close as possible to the conditions of the natural habitat. To speed up their flowering, some tricks are also used:
- Reduced watering, for example. Water once a week if previously watered every 2-3 days;
- They create stressful situations. Spring is more suitable. Some flower growers take the plants out to the balcony, to the garden at night. A temperature difference of 4-6 degrees is suitable for this.
Important! All these techniques are performed with adult plants. Their age should be at least 2-3 years.
How do you take care of black orchids?
If you happen to be the happy owner of a black orchid, you must follow a few simple rules so that it pleases with its bright and unusual flowering:
- Location in a shady location. There is a risk of burns if they are exposed to too much sunlight.
- Watering is moderate and feeding every two weeks.
- Temperature range: 18-30 degrees during the day and 12-23 degrees at night.
Check out Types of yellow orchids.
FAQs about Black Orchid
What does Black Orchid smell like?
The black orchid is one of the most popular flowers in the world. It’s not just because they are beautiful, but also because their scent is wonderful. The black orchid has a deep and mysterious scent that is both sweet and spicy at the same time. Some people might even say it smells like chocolate! The black orchid is widely used in perfumes and cosmetics, but they are also a popular flower because of their symbolism. They represent a romantic love spell, which is fitting considering the sweet smell and their beautiful blossoms. There are many ways to attract your lover with this powerful flower. One way is through an orchid bouquet.
What is Black orchid used for?
Black orchid is a plant that belongs to the family of Orchidaceae. It has an appearance of a small tree and it has black flowers with a purple base. This plant has been used for medicinal and aesthetic purposes. The extract from this plant can also be used as an insect repellent and to treat skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, boils, burns, etc.
The extract from this plant can also be used as an insect repellent and to treat skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, boils, burns.
What does a black orchid symbolize?
The black orchid is a type of flower that is often used in funeral arrangements. It is a representation of death, mourning, and remembrance. The flowers are usually black in color with two broad leaves at the base. They are also known as the “death flower” because they are often associated with funerals and mourning.
Where do black orchids grow?
Orchids are a diverse group of plants that grow in many different habitats. There are over 20,000 species of orchid and they can be found anywhere from the tropics to the Arctic.
The most common type of orchid is the terrestrial orchid which is found in many different places on Earth. These plants grow in forests, meadows, and deserts and even in some urban environments such as parks and gardens.
How much do black orchids cost?
Black orchids are one of the most expensive flowers in the world. The price of black orchids depends on their rarity, seasonality, and location.
The cost of a black orchid can range from $40 to $800 per stem. The price is determined by its rarity, seasonality and location.
How long does Black Orchid last?
The black orchid is a beautiful flower that can be found in the forest. It has dark purple flowers that last for about two weeks. Black orchids are often mistaken for blackberry bushes because they share a similar dark purple color. These plants are not only beautiful, but they also serve as a type of food and healing plant.
What perfume smells like Black Orchid?
Black orchid is a rare flower that has a very distinct smell. The perfume industry has taken notice and created various perfumes that are designed to smell like the black orchid flower. Some of these perfumes are more natural, while others are more synthetic.
The most popular black orchid perfume is called Black Orchid by Tom Ford. This perfume contains notes of bergamot, vanilla, and cedarwood. It also contains a note of ambergris which makes it smell expensive and luxurious.
This fragrance does not have as much citrus as other perfumes in the Tom Ford line-up which makes it perfect for those who prefer their fragrances to be on the sweeter side.
Attractive and exotic black orchids flowers have won the hearts of many flower growers. Despite the fact that black plants do not exist in nature, hardly any orchid lover will be disappointed to learn that his pet is not black in color. After all, an orchid of purple, dark blue, or rich burgundy looks no less impressive.