Black orchids are mysterious and spectacular representatives of exotic plants. There is still no consensus on how the black orchid appeared. Despite the fact that many flower shops offer to purchase a black orchid, some growers continue to doubt the existence of unusual beauty in nature.
Do black orchids exist in nature or not?
Usually, an orchid that can be mistaken for black is actually dark purple, beetroot, burgundy, deep purple, or blue. If you look closely at the petals of a flower, you will find that they only look black from a distance. The black orchid was named because it was initially quite difficult to distinguish these shades from black.
If you are different types of orchids you can learn also at houseplantspro.com.
black orchids Varieties
Today, many varieties of black orchids are known, bred by breeders.
- Fredclarkeara dark orchids
- Maxillaria schunkeana
- dracula orchid
- Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight
- Vanda Robert’s Delight Black
- paph hsinying alien
Fredclarkeara dark orchids
Fredclarkeara After Dark “SVO Black Pearl”. Bred by breeder Fred Clarke in 1995, who worked for Sunset Valley Growers, located in Vista, California, USA.
A very rare and expensive orchid variety. Epiphytic plant with 3-4 peduncles, on which at least 15 flowers appear, painted in a deep blueberry color. The flowers have a sweetish spicy aroma. Juicy bright green leaves die off for the winter.
You may also like to learn about Oncidium Orchid Varieties.
Maxillaria Schunkeana. since 2007 belongs to the species of monocotyledonous plants of the genus Brasiliorchis of the orchid family. The stems of a small epiphytic plant native to Brazil reach up to 30 cm in height. Pseudobulbs are cylindrical in shape. The buds are similar to tulips, have a rich dark purple color. It is rare.
Dracula roezlii. This species of the genus Dracula was classified as a black orchid because of the bluish-black veins that cover the belt-like flowers. The plant is small in size and attracts attention with its exotic appearance. The second name of the flower is Monkey’s muzzle. In natural conditions, it is found in Colombia and Ecuador.
Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight
Cymbidium Kiwi Midnight. An evergreen epiphytic plant of the orchid family, growing up to 50 cm, with drooping peduncles. A bright representative of the genus cymbidium. The shape of the flowers is rounded. The petals are maroon, the lip is white with a dark spot.
Vanda Robert’s Delight Black
Vanda Robert’s Delight Black. An exotic flower of the genus Vendian. It reaches a height of 30–40 cm, dark green linear leaves grow up to 20–25 cm. Flowers grow up to 11–12 cm in diameter, have a rich purple hue.
Many orchids lover face provlems with leaves of orchid so here is Care Of Orchid Leaves to Get Healthy Beautiful Orchids Leaves.
paph hsinying alien
Several varieties of Paphiopedilum at once, or as this variety of orchids is often called, the lady’s slipper, has a black tint:
- Paphiopedilum Stealth Black Dragon. This original flower on display in Tokyo in 2010 is a hybrid of Paphiopedilum Hsinying Maru and Paphiopedilum rothschildianum. The petals and shoe-shaped lips are deep maroons, almost black in color.
- Paphiopedilum Hsinying Alien Chris Leung. It has a light sail with burgundy stripes, but the lip and horizontal petals of a juicy dark brown color.
- Paphiopedilum de Nachtwacht. On a long peduncle, only two flowers appear, which have a maroon or brown hue. Small and bright leaves look contrasting against the background of dark flowers.
- Paphiopedilum Pisgah Midnight. Flowers – dark purple with black veins.
- Paphiopedilum Hsinying Maru. Unpretentious bright perennial. Flowers of unusual shape have shades from maroon to purple. Green and brown stripes and black dots can be found on the petals.
Among the phalaenopsis, there are several species that are close to black in color, namely maroon, purple or dark blue. And only in the names of varieties is the word “black” mentioned.
- Kaoda Twinkle (Phalaenopsis Kaoda Twinkle);
- Black bird (Phalaenopsis Black Bird);
- Naomi (Phalaenopsis Naomi);
- Black Pearl (Phalaenopsis Black Pearl).
Doritaenopsis Ever Spring Prince Black Ruby. A hybrid called Prince Black Ruby was bred by crossing Phalaenopsis and Doritis. The stem of the plant is short, hidden under the leaves. Flowers are large, dark shades – from wine to deep purple.
Where To Buy Black Orchids
You can easily buy black orchids from online stores or you can visit your nearest houseplants store
How do you take care of black orchids?
If you happen to be the happy owner of a black orchid, you must follow a few simple rules so that it pleases with its bright and unusual flowering:
- Location in a shady location. There is a risk of burns if they are exposed to too much sunlight.
- Watering is moderate and feeding every two weeks.
- Temperature range: 18-30 degrees during the day and 12-23 degrees at night.
Attractive and exotic black orchids have won the hearts of many flower growers. Despite the fact that black plants do not exist in nature, hardly any orchid lover will be disappointed to learn that his pet is not black in color. After all, an orchid of purple, dark blue or rich burgundy looks no less impressive.